"Your Internet connection is unstable" on Note 3
sarcos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Alright I am having the same issue with my wifi connection going out. Just says "Your Internet connection is unstable" I was burning through my data very quickly at first, until I turned off the auto switch function that is on by default. (Settings>Wifi configure>menu>Advanced Setting> uncheck the box for auto switch connection.) I am still using more data then I should because I am forced to switch to my 4G connection because I can't stay connected to my wifi.

Some facts:

• Have had the issue with 6 different routers, wide variety so I am confident that it is not the router. The 4 routers that I have any control over have the most up to date firmware.
  • My wife has a Note 2 on the same connection from VZW that has had no issues at all.
  • I have done a DOA on my phone and experienced the same issue on both devices. Did not add any applications from the play store or any other app market until after the issue presented itself again, which was within 24 hours.
  • I used a Note 3 with AT&T and had none of these issues which makes me believe it is something to do with the VZW specific software version.
  • I did a factory data reset after the recent software update and still had the issue.
  • Contacted Samsung directly, they were not aware of an issue.
  • Contact VZW tech support typical steps given, reboot, pull battery, wipe, if problem persist warranty exchange.
  • Tonight I used this cycle to try and see if I could get a stable connection. Had the problem, used the phones internal task manager to clear memory and to close all running applications. Issue happened again within a minute. Did a reboot of the device, issue happened again. Pulled the battery and the issue happened again.

I have no desire to get a warranty device from VZW or to send it in myself to have Samsung take a look at it. I feel like this is an issue that has some type of a software conflict and I am hoping that someone from VZW will take the time to run this up the line, talk to their local Samsung rep and make it known that this issue is impacting people.

Not only is this frustrating for me. But I consider myself pretty on the ball with wireless devices and I managed to burn through half a months data in a week before realizing that I wasn't using my wifi connection due to the auto switch default option. I can only imagine how many people are raising their plans to compensate for this potential software glitch, using the data that they have while on the wrong plan paying more than they should be, or worse yet getting bills with overages and not understanding how to read their bill and know that they're even having a problem. 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "Your Internet connection is unstable" on Note 3
sarcos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes that is something I have also tried. I will probably contact someone shortly to get a replacement device. But plan to check the replacement before mailing mine back in.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the wifi sleep policy set to? Do you turn off your data when you plan to be connected to wifi for an extended period of time?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sarcos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wifi policy is set to not sleep. Also I don't turn my data off when I plan to use wifi, because I shouldn't have too.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

sarcos wrote:

Wifi policy is set to not sleep. Also I don't turn my data off when I plan to use wifi, because I shouldn't have too.

Well I choose to turn my cellular data connection when I'm connected to my wifi router. I don't have any similar wifi disconnection issues with my devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sarcos
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's working for you on the note 3?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

sarcos wrote:

That's working for you on the note 3?

It is working on a Galaxy S4 and the other devices (Backup phones, tablet, etc.). I don't have the Note 3.

0 Likes
sarcos
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well that seems to have become a work around for my problem. Thank you for your insight. Still frustrating given that this is the first of about 10+ Android devices that I have ever had, that have had this problem.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

While turning cellular data off will keep your phone from connecting to cellular data WHEN wifi disconnects, it DOES not keep the Galaxy Note 3 from continually disconnecting from wifi. This only results in repeated periods of no data connectivity.

Turning off cellular data does not fix the wifi stability issue on the Galaxy Note 3. It will simply connect to wifi for a time, drop connection, reestablish a new connection for a time, drop connection, etc... If you are using a data connection during the cycling period, your app will simply come back with a message that no data connection is available and to try again later.

This is a major reason I have discontinued use of a Galaxy Note 3.

2manycars4me
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem and it has been driving me batty trying to fix it. I even installed a range booster which gives a great signal boost and still have the stability issues on the internet.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sarcos,

We absolutely appreciate you taking the time to research and perform a lot of the steps needed to determine the root cause of this issue. Have you attempted to delete the Wi-Fi connection, then re-add it shortly after? If all steps have been completed to help resolve this concern with no avail, our next option would be to replace the device under the warranty policy.

EfrainM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport