Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
aka-neo
Contributor - Level 1

Greetings,

If you aren't already aware, there is a serious flaw in the most recent update to the Samsung Galaxy S3. The 4.3 update causes a serious issue with battery drain, screen responsiveness and some apps not functioning properly. If you search for this issue you’ll find it’s not carrier specific. This update was originally delayed due to battery drain and other issues yet here we are with a December roll out and the same issues. I called Verizon today and they are aware of this issue but have not received a plethora of calls (yet) according to the rep I spoke to.

Bottom line, if you have not installed the update, DO NOT. Wait until a fix has been implemented. I’m lucky if I get 10 hours of light use when I could go 24 hours prior to the update. If I make a few phone calls and use any apps I am forced to charge my phone within a few hours. This is by far the worst issue I’ve ever had with this phone. Up until now everything has been quite solid. If you are having this issue please call Verizon so this can be escalated. I’m hoping a fix will be pushed out in the next couple of months or sooner. My Galaxy S3 is not rooted as I really never found a huge need to do so. Hopefully this issue will not push me in that direction. All I want is a phone that works as expected. You can try using the Deep Sleep Battery Saver app which has a free version for the time being.

May the force be with you, always…..

Re: Samsung GS3 Battery Drain after 4.3 update
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

After the update my battery drain was ludicrous. From 100% to 90% in less than 5 minutes. I was able to reduce the battery drain a bit but it is still faster than before the update. I did this:

Boot into recovery mode (volume up, home button, power on)

Select "clear \cache partition" using volume down button

Reboot.

I have read that there is a "useless" system daemon that monitors GPS state that also contributes to battery drain but you need to be rooted to fix that. I have not rooted (yet) as I search for other options.

Hope this helps.

bearone21
Legend

i haven't had any problems & battery life is better.

"battery saver app"...that's the kind of app like task killers....always running.

0 Likes
p_clinger
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also having very significant battery drain issues following the Samsung Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 update. Loss is approximately 1% per 2-3 minutes, idle.  Attempted clearing the cache partition, with no effect.  Have run in Safe Mode, also with no effect. Tried removing all apps (barring the substantial amount of Verizon bloatware), again no effect. Switched out batteries, with no effect.  This issue basically turns the phone into a landline, which of course calls into question why one is paying for the service at all. Can probably give it another week, but that's it.

pebbs

I noticed in December after an update that my phone was having significant battery drain issues. I also had issues with the phone suddenly shutting off when the battery wasn't even all the way ran down, but would not turn on until it was plugged in again.

Now today I received another update. This one I had no choice but to receive. The battery is once again WORSE. I hate the new look on this update. Features I  used that were standard on the phone (such as T9 word) have disappeared and forced me to use an app to replace it (again, HATE that).  I realize the updates are essential to have the latest technology but I DO NOT understand why features disappear. This is so irritating I'm about to opt out of even having a smartphone all together. I got this phone when it was on the market 2 weeks. Its "old"  and my contract isnt even near up! Its ridiculous at best.

0 Likes
Ramjet79
Enthusiast - Level 2

couple of months? Let's hope not. This update has been absolutely terrible for my phone. battery life, runs warm, camera flash randomly flashes at times for no apparent reason. stuck on 3g service now.

susedom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I upgraded to the latest Android and almost all was good, lost a few apps and browser hangs a little. The big problem came this weekend when Samsung pushed an upgrade to the phone. Now the phone needs to be charged every 4 hours. Absolutely ridiculous.

MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Ramjet79 wrote:

couple of months? Let's hope not. This update has been absolutely terrible for my phone. battery life, runs warm, camera flash randomly flashes at times for no apparent reason. stuck on 3g service now.

Google it , there is an easy fix. Or read one of the other 39 threads about this update.

0 Likes
Dewey3k
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you think no one tried to "google it"? There are dozens of "fixes" and the easy ones don't seem to do anything. If you know something, share it. (removed)

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

MySIII
Contributor - Level 2

Dewey3k wrote:

Do you think no one tried to "google it"? There are dozens of "fixes" and the easy ones don't seem to do anything. If you know something, share it. (removed)

I already posted this answer about the flash, there are Too many threads about the same thing, you can easily do a search on here or Google, but I'll post the link (removed)...Brb

Comment edited for continuity.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes