2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2013 4:21 PM by ttipgem RSS

Is iMessage data use or texting?

suedad344

Does iMessage go against data usage, or is it just considered texting?  I have a plan with unlimited texting, but minimal data, so do want to waste my available data on iMessage if it uses data.

• 1. Re: Is iMessage data use or texting?
          AZSALUKI

i believe it's data, because only iphone users can use it, so i don't think it's actually like texting.

edit: actually i believe it's both. if it's to another iphone, then data. if it's to a non iphone, then it's a text. that's my understanding, but i'm not positive.

• 2. Re: Is iMessage data use or texting?
            ttipgem

Exactly.

It's mostly data.

If you have iMessage activated, "texts" to iPhone users (who also have iMessage activated) will use data.  They will not count against a text message "allowance".  But they will count as data (albeit a small amount if you aren't sending pictures).

Messages to non-iPhone users will be sent as SMS and will not count as data.

You have the option to turn iMessage off if you are concerned about data usage. 

Settings > Messages > iMessage > make the slider white instead of green.