What email provider? The settings for the incoming and outgoing servers are different for each provider, and the port settings may need changes too.
Your email provider should be able to tell you what settings to use.
It is Verizon
Mail server settings
- Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
- Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
- Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465 Why is this important?
- Your Verizon Online user name
- Your Verizon Online password
- Make sure "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" is checked.
pop doesnot support (APOP) authentication
Your email is email@example.com ? Or is it some other provider,like @comcast.net or @yahoo.com ? if you've set it up properly with the settings above and your email ends with @verizon.net, then something else is going on. I don't have a verizon.net email address to test, but I have successfully set up several different emails on several phones (Android, Windows, and iPhones).
You said you could not set it up in Outlook either? There's got to be something in the settings that's not right, some how.