7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2013 6:44 PM by Trigo RSS

Early Termination Fee

BC_NYC

Why charge a customer a $130 early termination fee in the last month of their contract? My bill is no more that $60 per month. Not very classy.

• 1. Re: Early Termination Fee
          jroeder

Sounds like you should have just went through that last month of service rather than cancel it. Would've been cheaper. If your contract term results from your purchase of a smartphone, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete.

• 2. Re: Early Termination Fee
            BC_NYC

I would but my vzw phone died and I needed new service. They would give me the option to just pre pay the bill since I need to move my number.

I am so ****** I want to move my 100+ corp numbers to ATT if coverage was as good.

• 3. Re: Early Termination Fee
              jroeder

It is unfortunate that your term. fee was more than your bill but you cancelled it within contract, and were liable for the fee. No company you would move to will let you cancel within contract and not assess a fee for it.

• 4. Re: Early Termination Fee
                ttipgem

Your anger is misplaced.

You failed to comply with the terms of the contract into which you voluntarily entered.

Thus, the full ETF is charged.

It's all in the contract.

• 5. Re: Early Termination Fee
                  Elector

Companies with large accounts like when I was in charge of cell phone services for the state have an Account Representative in fact I had two of them. If you speak to them and request to have it overridden I am sure for the loss of 100 corporate phones and devices that is enough money loss to get their attention and no early termination fee.

Call the account executive and inquire.

Good Luck

• 6. Re: Early Termination Fee
                    rcschnoor

It seems someone with control over 100+ lines would have access to a replacement phone on a temporary basis at lleast. I know I do with a mere 4 lines under my control.

• 7. Re: Early Termination Fee
                      Trigo

Hi, BC__NYC, it doesn't make sense that you would be charged an early termination fee if you are, indeed, canceling your contract during the final month of the agreement (i.e., before the last day of the month).  Did you read the FAQs on early termination fees.  They make clear that if you cancel your contract, the cancellation will not take effect until the end of the month--and you are responsible for the full month's charges.  You may want to see if your state's Attorney General's Office or consumer protection office may provide an avenue for you to dispute the charge.