S4 won't charge after 4.3 update
davehimself
Enthusiast - Level 1

I installed the 4.3 OTA update yesterday on my Galaxy S4. Charging is so broken, the phone is now useless. Is anyone else is having similar problems?

Here's what happened starting with the update:

First of all I only charge with the supplied Samsung charger and cable. During the update, I left the phone charging while it was updating but it was already near 100% capacity. About 30 min later, I grabbed my phone but it would not turn on with the home key or the power switch. I removed the battery and reinstalled and then I could boot the phone up. I saw the message confirming the SW update had succeeded. I used it all day long and plugged it in that night at about 40% charge left. This morning when I picked up the phone, it did not turn on and is was smoking hot. I mean REALLY hot. I took off the back cover and removed the battery. The area just under the SIM card was the hottest. I let it cool down for a couple of minutes. Put the battery back in and tried to turn it on - nothing. Plugged in the charger and then I got the low battery graphic on the screen - but too low to boot. Within a few seconds I could feel the phone getting hot around the SIM card area again. I unplugged the charger. This time the phone booted up but showed 4% battery then shutdown.

Currently, I can't charge the phone without cooking it. I'm dead in the water. What a pain in the a**.

Re: S4 won't charge after 4.3 update
Klue
Master - Level 1

Sounds like you could have a couple of problems, the battery and the charging cable.  I would change them both, if after a couple of hours of shut down time the problems you describe come back.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey davehimself,

The S4 is a great phone, but I am sorry to hear that the software update is causing you some issues. Let's keep your phone energized throughout the day.

How long does the battery last from 100% to 0%? If you remove the cover, does the battery look normal? Is it swollen, or do you notice any corrosion around the charging ports? Any physical or water damage done to the phone itself?

If the phone becomes too hot to touch, I would strongly recommend bringing the device into a corporate store location for hands on review so that no injuries are caused.

Please provide additional details so that I can better assist.

Thanks,

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport.

davehimself
Enthusiast - Level 1

New information: I bought a new Samsung battery and external battery charger. When I charge up either battery and put one in the phone, it will not power on. If I plug the phone in it will turn on, warn the battery is low, and begin to heat up very quickly as it continues to boot. After a minute or two it will shut off without warning. It appears there is some sort of internal short.

At any rate, I have received a replacement S4 from Verizon and should be back up soon. Just wish I could run it long enough to be sure everything is fully backed up.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

If you have most or all of your stuff in a Google account it transfer to the new phone as soon as you enter the Account into it, All your Contacts, Apps, things associated with the account will move over too it..

0 Likes
Jomez

This is a real problem that is being reported on the Web.  My S4 stopped charging on certain chargers after the 4.3 update yet always charges on a USB port or a USB wall outlet charger.  I have a couple Motorola chargers with the mini USB connector on them and they would not charge yet they did before the upgrade.

I also found that when properly charging on a USB port, I can quickly remove the cable from the phone and plug the Motorola charger in and it will continue to charge and show the lightening bolt icon.

Booting up with the Motorola wall charger plugged in will sometimes recognize the charger and display the lightening bolt until unplugged, then it will not recognize the Motorola charger.

I am not having an overheating problem.  I sure hope Verizon gets this fixed soon!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Jomez are you charging from the A/C outlet or from a Port on a Computer.?

0 Likes
Jomez

As I stated, both. It works everytime on a USB port, but fails with

certain wall outlet chargers which all worked fine prior to the update.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ok just checking, the Reason I asked I have seen on here in the past customers having real big issues while charging Via a USB computer port and that's why for the reply but if your phone is charging ok this way that's great news..b

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Jomez,

I'm sorry for the issue that you are having with the S4 after the update. I have the same phone and have had similar issues after the software update. What worked for me was a hard reset.

I would recommend running a hard reset,http://vz.to/176v3fz.  Keep us updated with results.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport