8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2013 9:36 AM by tikibar1 RSS

Automated 800 call from Verizon?

EyeRate

Received automated call from "Verizon"  (800-922-8888) twicw this week saying there was a $35 credit in my account. Is this a scam; who belongs to this 800 number; where is my credit?

• 1. Re: Automated 800 call from Verizon?
          dubbledown

my sister just called me and told me she got the call as well about 15min ago. it told her to go to a particular site to claim her credit. I was going to do a whois lookup on the domain before proceeding. she's not even an account mgr on our account so I'm doubting it would come to her if legit.

plus, vzw usually communicates via text msg and this was a call that gave an address, gave no follow-up reference, and hung up after just one pass on the info. any time vz (fios) or vzw has called me, it's always been from a regular outgoing line, not an 800 number.

I'm betting scam, trying to get you to enter your number and then maybe account or address info (as confirmation of who you are) and then building more data of yours to be stored somewhere.

• 2. Re: Automated 800 call from Verizon?
            icesdog458

I have had 2 calls from a Verizon 877 number wanting to discuss my plan then they put me on hold for the next available agent. This is very rude!

• 3. Automated 800 call from Verizon?
              EyeRate

I'm trying (hoping) that a Verizon CS  or fraud employee will see this thread and follow-up by identifying the robo call 800 scam phone number above. I see that there are other toll free numbers doing the same thing. I would think that Verizon has the ability to trace these numbers to the owners and proceed with the necessary actions to shut them down.

Unfortunately, there is no way to contact Verizon (easily) directly to report these types of abuse.

• 4. Re: Automated 800 call from Verizon?
                Ann154

That's definitely a scam. It is similar to the ones posted about for the last few months.

• 5. Re: Automated 800 call from Verizon?
                  Ann154

EyeRate wrote:

I'm trying (hoping) that a Verizon CS  or fraud employee will see this thread and follow-up by identifying the robo call 800 scam phone number above. I see that there are other toll free numbers doing the same thing. I would think that Verizon has the ability to trace these numbers to the owners and proceed with the necessary actions to shut them down.

Unfortunately, there is no way to contact Verizon (easily) directly to report these types of abuse.

The customer service number doesn't work for you?

• 6. Re: Automated 800 call from Verizon?
                    dubbledown

icesdog458 wrote:

I have had 2 calls from a Verizon 877 number wanting to discuss my plan then they put me on hold for the next available agent. This is very rude!

sorry to hear that icesdog458, but you should really post this in a thread where it is more relevant or create a new one that will provide proper attention. thread hijacking usually only leads to both the op and your comment being left unanswered or muddied answers where people try to answer both assuming they're related. in this case, they really aren't. the only similarity is that the call originated from an 877 number, but ours were from 800 numbers.

• 7. Re: Automated 800 call from Verizon?
                      !Broseygal

I too received an automated phone call from 800-922-0204.  The computer voice was hard to understand but something about a $35 or $45 dollar credit to my account and I need to long into verizon wireless to claim it. I couldn't find anything within my account regarding the credit.  The computerized voice said something like login to verizon35 credit....couldn't find that link.

Scam??

• 8. Re: Automated 800 call from Verizon?
                        tikibar1

!Broseygal wrote:

Scam??

yep