Activating Nexus 7 (2013) 4G LTE Tablet
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Will Verizon Wireless activate a Nexus 7 (2013) 4G LTE tablet on its network? Has anyone tried to do this, and what were your results?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Activating Nexus 7 (2013) 4G LTE Tablet
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some have reported success if they had a previously activated SIM card for a tablet line. New activations are another story. The device itself apparently isn't certified by Verizon Wireless for its network. No one knows when it will be certified.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

A Verizon Wireless representative told me that the Company will not activate the Nexus 7. It's also possible that the Nexus 7 simply hasn't been added to her manual yet, since the device is still new.

However, I think it's more likely that Verizon Wireless will stall for as long as it can and ultimately will not activate the Nexus 7,regardless of what the law requires. We've seen that Verizon Wireless will gladly take on the FCC in a protracted legal battle.

0 Likes
watts4u2
Enthusiast - Level 2

How can we find out?  Verizon's last statement was Sept.18, saying the certification process started in August and normally takes 4-6 weeks.  We need some answers!

0 Likes
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

What I've read so far confirms what we've all written: Verizon Wireless is dragging its feet...a complaint has been filed with the FCC (possibly several by now)...Verizon Wireless says 'be patient'...a pre-activated SIM card will let the Nexus work on Verizon's network (but then you can't use your phone).

Meanwhile, T Mobile and AT&T are activating the Nexus 7. (T Mobile and Google have a deal where the first month of your data plan are free.)

Personally, I'm not counting on Verizon Wireless. There's no telling when they'll activate the Nexus 7, if ever, and if it goes to court it will take even longer. If Verizon Wireless can fight off the FCC for another 9 or 10 months then the next version of the Nexus will be available, allowing Verizon Wireless to start all over again.

If I decide to stay with Verizon Wireless, I won't buy the 4G LTE version of the Nexus.

0 Likes
watts4u2
Enthusiast - Level 2

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2013/09/verizon-wireless-device-certification-statement....

It should have been certified by now according to this statement from over a month ago.  Will someone from Verizon at least give us an update?

kbieker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been waiting patiently for over a month now for Verizon to support this device and am to the point that I'm done waiting on them.   T-mobile is now giving ANY lte tablet owner a free 200MB a month whether you are a customer or not.    My Nexus 7 came with a Tmobile sim so I'll just use T-mobile and reward them with my business for this device.   Yep, it will cost me more then $10 a month but Verizon can go pound sand.

NexusMan21
Contributor - Level 2

I think Verizon doesn't like the idea that there is no 3G radio in the Nexus 7 (2013). When you get to a crap coverage area, how will you get service if there is nothing to fall back on? This seems like a flood gate of potential complaints to me, especially from those who aren't tech savvy.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

NexusMan21 wrote:

I think Verizon doesn't like the idea that there is no 3G radio in the Nexus 7 (2013). When you get to a crap coverage area, how will you get service if there is nothing to fall back on? This seems like a flood gate of potential complaints to me, especially from those who aren't tech savvy.

There is presedence for 4G LTE only devices.  The 4G LTE router and Home Fusion only connect to the 4G LTE signal.  Neither of them fall back to the 3G network.  Both are offered and sold by Verizon Wireless.  Granted both device are designed for stationary connections and not a mobile/moving one like the Nexus 7 LTE.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rive
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just bought my Nexus 7 (2013) 4G/LTE Wednesday from Bestbuy For $349. Resized my existing tablet LTE SIM, and popped it into Nexus 7.

I pay $30 month for 2GB data plan, no contract.

Good to go

Quad core CPU @1.5GHz

1080p HD screen res (1920x1200)

2GB ram

32GB storage

The nexus 7 LTE is better than any device currently offered by Verizon, and I also have crystal clear phone capability on my Nexus 7. (Google Voice/GrooVe IP app) caller Id, voice mail, local/long distance to US/Canada...for free.

0 Likes