7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 11:16 AM by rcschnoor RSS

Early Upgrade

Rubalcaba82

So I have a family plan and the next upgrade phone we have is Feb. 2014. My phone is more than 2 years old and I need a new phone. I tried to do the Edge program, but my payments aren't always on time, so I can't use the Edge program. I've never been suspended for nonpayment, I usually use their #PMT options to get more time on my payments. Is there anything I can do to get an early upgrade? Should I call in and speak with a supervisor? I don't feel like paying the full retail price.

• 1. Re: Early Upgrade
          Ann154

Have you considered purchasing a used device from Swappa or another third party?

• 2. Re: Early Upgrade
            Rubalcaba82

I have, but I'm looking for the S4 and they're all more than $500. Might as well just buy it at full retail.

• 3. Re: Early Upgrade
              budone

Early upgrades are rare, however with constant late payments, it will never happen.

• 4. Re: Early Upgrade
                Macnerd

How about for those with non-late payments? I'd like to switch from a basic phone to a smartphone and I was forced to use my upgrade in December due to my LG Cosmos dying, I now have the money for a data plan and would like to upgrade (I'm a secondary line on a Nationwide Talk & Text FS 700 Plan)

I'm getting the feeling that Verizon isn't going to let me do anything but wait, the monthly payments on a phone ontop of the 2GB data is too much so financing isn't an option for me. Any insight other than me using a half-functioning dumb phone for another year and 3 months?

• 5. Re: Early Upgrade
                  rcschnoor

Macnerd wrote:

I'm getting the feeling that Verizon isn't going to let me do anything but wait, the monthly payments on a phone ontop of the 2GB data is too much so financing isn't an option for me. Any insight other than me using a half-functioning dumb phone for another year and 3 months?

You are probably correct in your assumption that Verizon will not let you upgrade early, or at least any time soon.

Do you have any friends with old smartphones which they are no longer using? You could also try Swappa.com to purchase a used smartphone.

• 6. Re: Early Upgrade
                    Macnerd

Do you think calling customer service or e-mailing them is worth a shot?

And, I was thinking I'd just go with a Galaxy Nexus from eBay or Swappa because it's really all I can afford, I just would have liked something more modern so it'll actually last me the 2 years.

• 7. Re: Early Upgrade
                      rcschnoor

Macnerd wrote:

Do you think calling customer service or e-mailing them is worth a shot?

Possibly if you were less than a month away. 15 months, no chance.