I recently purchased a Samsung Gusto 2 pre-paid refillable phone from Best Buy, and I've noticed 2 *VERY* annoying "features":
1) The external volume buttons constantly bump up against my glasses case in my pocket, basically making a key press noise every step I take. The only solution I've found to "fixing" this beyond annoying problem is to completely turn the volume off on the phone, which pretty much makes it worthless as a phone (it's nice to be able to hear when someone is calling you).
2) I received a text this morning from a wrong number (there goes 2 cents); I then replied politely telling the person they had the wrong number (another 2 cents). Then, I'm sitting at my desk at work and I suddenly hear my POCKET talking to me. Disoriented, I pulled the phone out of my pocket and sure enough, not only did the phone actually answer while in my pocket, but the phone had automatically switched to speaker phone (which is how I heard I had a call). I then (again) politely told the person they had the wrong number (there goes $2). So, I lost $2.04 today due to this amazing "feature."
I've skimmed the available options on the phone and can't figure out how to address either of these problems. Any help with the above issues would be much appreciated!!
Let's get your phone working the right way for you. I know that the volume keys on the side of the phone can be a little problem. We also need to keep that volume up so you can get those calls. There is a great feature on your phone called Key Guard Settings. Here are the steps to locking your keys.
Use the Keyguard Setting to control when the phone keys lock.
1. From the Home screen, press MENU ➔ Settings
& Tools ➔ Keyguard Setting.
2. Use the Directional Key to select a setting, then
• Always Off: The keys never lock.
• Lock on Flip Close: Keys lock when you flip the phone closed.
• 7 seconds: Keys lock after 7 seconds of inactivity.
• 15 seconds: Keys lock after 15 seconds of inactivity.
• 30 seconds: Keys lock after 30 seconds of inactivity.
Also, in regards to the unwanted text messages, I would recommend you reaching out to our prepaid customer service team by dialing *611 from your wireless phone. It is a free call. I am sure everything will work out for you.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
I'm afraid you have some outdated information. I had previously found this area on my own, and the settings changes have no effect on the volume buttons (I probably should have mentioned this in my initial post).
To access it on my phone, you have to press the following:
Menu -> Settings -> Phone -> Side Key Lock
I'm then presented with the following 5 options:
-Lock on Flip Close
I've tried all 5 of these settings, and nothing disables the !%&#!@#$ external volume buttons! The phone is currently set to "Lock on Flip Close," which I'd anticipate means the external volume buttons lock the moment the phone is closed. Please advise...
Thanks for the updated information Sniperm4m. The information we received is direction from the User Manual for your device. Here is a link with the manual to review more information http://bit.ly/J75ZNz , page 105. I listed those steps below again.
Set the default Volume for all the sounds on your phone.
1. From the Home screen, press the Left Soft Key
Menu ➔ Settings ➔ Volume.
2. Press the Volume Key or
Directional Key Up or Down to highlight a volume
level, then press SET:
• High: All sounds play at High volume.
• Medium High: All sounds play at medium high volume.
• Medium: All sounds play at medium volume.
• Medium Low: All sounds play at medium low volume.
• Low: All sounds play at medium volume
• Vibrate Only: No sounds play, but the phone vibrates for
incoming calls and messages, alarms and other alerts.
• Alarm Only: Sounds play for alarms, but not for calls or alerts.
• All Sounds Off: No sounds play.
Tip: Press Play to hear a sample of a highlighted volume level.
This is the most updated information we have. Is the phone damaged? You can also stop by a corporate store for a phone evaluation .
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport