1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2014 5:16 AM by rcschnoor RSS

Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?

Core2

The actual service plan costs do not change at all.  $40 for a Smartphone access, and $50 for 2gb, $60 for 4gb data, etc.

Typically you put down $199 for a 16gb iPhone (+the new $30 upgrade fee), that leaves $450 left you owe on the phone that is rolled into your 2 year contract.

Now with Edge you can get the same phone for only $27.15 down.  Sounds great, right?  However typical contract monthly bill just went up $27.15 to pay for that new phone, as you are paying for your new phone separately in full,  from your service plan.

(That $27.15 payment works out to be $328.80 a year)

That $450 ($225 per year) that previously got rolled into your service contract is still there.......yes, you are still paying for 2/3 of a smartphone in your service plan.....I mean month-to-month service.

And if you trade your phone in when it gets 50% paid off, you better hope that phone is in good condition - Verizon needs to have that phone in good condition so they can resell it back to other customers as "refurbished".

"To be eligible for the Edge Up option, the Edge phone being returned must be in good working condition and have no significant damage, as determined by Verizon Wireless."

And once you are in the plan, you can't get out until you have a phone paid off completely, so unless you are able to make extra payments toward your device, that's 2 years.

• 1. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?
          pdecell

Well not only are your points spot on, but the sort of person who might fall for VZ's ploy might also think..wow I have extra money to spend on accessories...ya think? What VZ and ATT etc will probably end up doing is dis-aggregating the access fees from the costs for the device. But that would require a measure of transparency these companies might find challenging.

• 2. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?
            rcschnoor

In my opinion, at least, NO IT IS NOT A GOOD DEAL.

I suppose it could be a good deal if you DO NOT like the Verizon contracts and would prefer to pay full price for the phone over a period of time without finance charges instead of all at once. Then if you want a new phone you can just pay off the remaining balance and start again. However, I do not think these are the type of customers which will be utilizing the Edge plan.

More likely it will mostly be people who want more phone than they can really afford and will be stuck making the monthly payments if their phone breaks without any means to upgrade until the phone is paid off. For THESE people, it is just a road-map for disaster.

• 3. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?
              SydneyK

Let's just say this is not a plan for the financially savvy.

• 4. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?
                Core2

Don't forget Verizon is not removing the subsidized fees buried in the month-to-month call plan - it costs the same as the 2 year contract service.

At least T-Mobile did a complete split of the service plan from the device costs.  Their Jump plan for $10 extra a month also includes full phone insurance.

If there coverage was better in my local area (only shows 3G for me), I think I would Jump.

• 5. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?
                  shawnh199

The edge plan appears to be a just shy of a scam.  The problem is that the other carriers are doing the same sort of deal.  It comes down to the network, Verizon (GTE when I bought into them) has the largest network.  It really means who is going to rip you off the least.  Verizon in short order has eradicated unlimited data, renewing early, makes you pay for them to activate your new phone by clicking a button to activate at the store for $30 and now you can pay double for a phone.  If you pick a good phone it will usually will last you 2 years if you are lucky.  Either way you are getting the short end of the stick but until there is a better option what else are you going to do....  Just sick of the shell game.

• 6. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?
                    Peteriffic

Exactly what I was thinking.

I just Googled to see what others were thinking since I got a letter informing me I might be eligible. But from what I've seen Edge isn't for me. I'm already on the Edge to make a Jump.

• 7. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?
                      nuckjr

I recently (in the last week) had a conversation with a Verizon rep and she made the Edge program sound very inviting. After a year, I am always itching to get a new phone so I am seriously considering the jump. I do agree with your points, however, with the current promotion to lower your monthly access by $20 a month for plans 10Gb or larger, I believe the deal has got better. I was also told they would waive the $30 activation fee. Granted, through my employer, activation are waived but this seems very doable. So instead of

$40 a month for my current plan

I get a Note 3 for $29 a month and the $40 is reduced to $20, making my new access fee $49 (really $50).

If you think about a lesser phone, say an S4 mini, your monthly access would be $37 ($20 access + $17 phone).

Disclaimer - you only get a $10 discount for data plans under 10Gb. This isn't a problem for me since I have 5 devices.

Does this make the Edge look better?

• 8. Re: Verizon Edge Plan - Is this really a good deal?

nuckjr wrote:

I recently (in the last week) had a conversation with a Verizon rep and she made the Edge program sound very inviting. After a year, I am always itching to get a new phone so I am seriously considering the jump. I do agree with your points, however, with the current promotion to lower your monthly access by $20 a month for plans 10Gb or larger, I believe the deal has got better. I was also told they would waive the $30 activation fee. Granted, through my employer, activation are waived but this seems very doable. So instead of

$40 a month for my current plan

I get a Note 3 for $29 a month and the $40 is reduced to $20, making my new access fee $49 (really $50).

If you think about a lesser phone, say an S4 mini, your monthly access would be $37 ($20 access + $17 phone).

Disclaimer - you only get a $10 discount for data plans under 10Gb. This isn't a problem for me since I have 5 devices.

Does this make the Edge look better?

Not to be super critical but your access fee is $20( $40-$20 discount ) you then have the Edge payment $29 and the "data"( data, minutes, texting ) portion $100( for 10 GB )

1 2 Previous Next