Des Moines, IA Metro LTE Slow
Aioka
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

Is there an issue or over saturation in the Des Moines, IA metro area (50309)? Everyday from about 9am-6pm the LTE speed/network is almost non-existent. Running speed tests from multiple verizon devices (iOS, Android and Windows Phone) in the area produce anywhere from 0Mbps-2Mpbs down with half-full LTE signal. Trying to browse and email is painful at best. Tests on other devices with T-Mobile "4G" are getting 5-6Mpbs consistently with no issues.

Is there an issue with this area? Is Verizon working on increasing tower coverage or implementing AWS to help with newer devices?

-Thanks

Branden

Labels (1)
Re: Des Moines, IA Metro LTE Slow
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It wouldn't surprise if there is over saturation of the towers. I have noticed a similar situation in the metro area to the west of you.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Aioka,

I am sorry to learn about the signal issues that you are having in the 50309 area code. We are reviewing our coverage on a daily basis and are always looking to improve where we can. Let's take a closer look at your area to see what's going on.

Seeing as it is a metro area, it is possible that the tower becomes congested slowing down the speeds for everyone, especially from 9am-6pm, which are working hours for most people.  I'd like to further investigate before we jump to that conclusion.

Does the issue primarily occur indoors? Or outdoors as well? Does it affect both voice and data? Which make and model device are you currently using? Does service improve when you leave that zip code?

Please provide additional details so that I can better assist.

Nicholas_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Simpanic

I would like to follow up on the poor LTE in downtown Des Moines, IA  I am sure it's due to the large work base here and lack of coverage, but it needs to be addressed.  It's so bad I can not even use my phone downtown ( indoors, outdoors, ect).  Voice seems fine, but Data including pic text seldom function.  Considering how much I am at work it's very frustrating!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Simpanic,

Thanks for reaching out. We are here to help out. I am not showing a problem in your area. In order to find a resolution, we would need you to Direct Message us so that we open a network ticket. Again, please let us know.

Bobby_VZW

0 Likes
Wpiper

I live in des moines as well. using droid charge. I work off walnut and sw 8th street sitting 5 to 6 stories up. I used to be able to stream netflix lol now I can't even stream slacker internet radio. It is very frustrating. Please fix the tower. It is a constant problem right now I am getting -114 dBm  in my phone case, and -106dBm with out a phone case sitting on the table by its self. You would think going up higher in the air better signal but I have to be practically be outside just to get some data, use to be pushing 1.5 to 2meg a sec, now im lucky to get 50kbps

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the details Wpiper! We would need to look further into this as there are no issues in this area. Please follow and DM your name and mobile number so that I can better assist.

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW

0 Likes
IowaTodd
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Brandon,

You are correct.  It seems that there is over-utilization during the weekdays from 9 to 5 in downtown Des Moines.  I believe the LTE network cannot handle the huge number of hits.  I can hardly send text messages or rarely receive email on my device during the day while at work. 

I have found a solution.... I switch the LTE feature on my device "OFF" during the day.  I am using 3G service then during the day.  It is slower, but at least my text messages and mail continue uninterrupted. 

At about 5 pm I switch the LTE back "ON" and everything is lightning fast again.

Given the business professionals in downtown Des Moines during the weekday, I would think VZ would want to "ramp up" it LTE serve downtown.  Many traveling business professionals are relying on it, and in its current state, it is not reliable during peak usage hours.

I hope this helps.  --Todd

0 Likes
acool

Hi Branden

I'd like to comment on this as well. I've been calling VZW numerous times only to be told that there is "no" capacity problems in the Des Moines area. But honestly that is not true. I work for a networking manufacturer and its unuseable in a large part of the city which is unacceptable.

Downtown des moines iowa (50309) full LTE bars dialup speeds. West Des Moines Jordan Creek area dialup speeds with full LTE bars. North side of des Moines in the beaverdale dialup speeds and little to no coverage.

Personally I think a call to the FCC is in order to lodge a complaint about this because this is unacceptable. Anyone else interested in lodging a complaint? I did get through to some woman who claims to have been in the executive team and she said I was free to cancel my contract and go with another company. So honestly you all have two choices, go with AT&T which is not as good as VZW or VZW fixes their capacity problems.

The VZ pop is on 6th and walnut downtown for crying out loud!

-a

0 Likes
acool

LenaA

You really should talk to someone on the network group at VZ because there are major capacity problems that are noticeable all over the city. Its not cellular coverage thats a problem its backhaul and network capacity. I get better speeds on the crap wifi at panera....and its free...

-a

0 Likes