2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2013 5:50 AM by Ann154 RSS

FACTORY UNLOCKED VERIZON Iphone 5

zus100

Hi

I purchased iPhone 5, 16GB IOS 6.1.4, model A1429 CDMA from a store in the USA, that was stated to be a VERIZON factory unlocked phone.

When I tried to operate it I received a message saying that it cannot be activated and I must insert the original SIM card (which I do not posses, as I reside in Israel).

Does this mean that this phone is not factory unlocked?

What can I do to activate the Iphone?

Many thanks and best regards,

• 1. Re: FACTORY UNLOCKED VERIZON Iphone 5
          mikedamirault

There is no such thing as a "factory unlocked" Verizon iPhone (or any unlocked Verizon phone for that matter)

An unlocked phone refers to a phone that is not locked to a given carrier, all true unlocked phones are GSM based

In the US (not roaming) Verizon uses CDMA, CDMA phones have to be locked to a carrier as soon as they are made as CDMA doesn't use SIM cards

Being the iPhone 5 has LTE, it does support an LTE SIM card, but (AFAIK) voice and 3G (when not in an area that has LTE towers) still goes through CDMA (unless you are internationally roaming, otherwise you roam on vodafone's GSM network)

That said, the LTE SIM card in the Verizon iPhone 5 should be locked to Verizon just as the CDMA portion of it would be, and it would be close to impossible to get your hands on a real brand new Verizon iPhone 5 without signing up for or already having a Verizon Wireless service plan

Chances are, if you have a shrink wrapped Verizon iPhone 5 without signing up for a Verizon service plan, the person you bought it from probably bought the iPhone at the subsidized price, sold it, bought another phone at full price, and got the other phone programmed for himself

In which case, you will probably have to wait 2 years for the seller's contract to expire, then call Verizon and ask if they can unlock it for you

• 2. Re: FACTORY UNLOCKED VERIZON Iphone 5
            Ann154

mikedamirault wrote:

~snip~

In which case, you will probably have to wait 2 years for the seller's contract to expire, then call Verizon and ask if they can unlock it for you

Verizon's SIM unlock policy require the person requesting the unlock be a Verizon Wireless customer and the phone be active on a current Verizon Wireless line of service plus other requirements.