Lumia 928 Audio Drop-outs
rick_h
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife has a new Nokia Lumia 928 and today she had some significant audio issues on separate calls to her father, sister and to me.  She explained that sometimes she could hear the other party fine, but then their voice would get very quiet, or become inaudible. She said that she hears a popping or crackling sound when the voice is about to drop.

LTE seems to be pretty strong at our house where two of the calls were made.  Another was downtown in our neighborhood. We never had any signal quality issues with previous phones (Trophy and 8x) for any of these locations.

Is this a problem with the 928, or possibly with the network?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Lumia 928 Audio Drop-outs
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

With the popping or crackling sound heard and then the audio drop, my guess would be the speaker is going bad.  Does she listen to music at all on the phone?

Does this happen while using a headset or bluetooth device?  The device is still under warranty, so if it is a bad speaker, it should be replaced as a manufacturer's defect....

0 Likes
Jelloskins

I got the 928 when it first came out and had this issue very quickly. I sent it back for warranty repair and the new one has developed the issue after a week.

You will hear the audio cut-out in strange ways on the ear speaker. However, if you put it on speaker phone or use a BT headset, the problem is not there. If this is your symptom, then it confirms you have an ear-speaker issue and you need to send it back.

0 Likes
BCARTEE
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this exact same issue with this phone.  I have already sent two back and have had my third one for two weeks now.  The other two would start doing this around week 2-3.  I am crossing my fingers it does not happen with this one.  If it does will send it in again.  I believe it has something to do with the charging port right next to the ear audio speaker.  Pretty sure it is a design issue.

0 Likes
swany5150

Same issue here after approx 4 weeks.  They told me they haven't reported anything to Nokia yet.  Not sure what % of failures they need to do that.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Did a search on Nokia's community and there are a few reporting the same issue.  The responses are alluding to a bad batch of phones.  I'd request a replacement.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry to hear of your audio difficulties swany5150! Does this happen all the time? What specific functions or apps are you using when it happens? What were the results of your interactions with data support when you reported it?

Jonathan_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
egelliott3

This is definitely a problem with the phone itself.  This is my first replacement and the issue is happening again, so I guess I am going to be requesting another one (3rd phone in 2 months).

I do not know what causes the problem to start happening, but after it does it will occur at least 80% of the time.  The only way to "fix" the issue is to strike the back case of the phone against your leg or with a single knuckle.  This will usually cause the sound to come back.  As such, this is definitely a hardware issue and has nothing to do with network or any software that is running.  Assuming, as others on this thread have done, that this is a design flaw with the phone itself.

I love the phone, but really disheartened that this issue is occurring.  Especially since, when I request another replacement, that I fully expect the issue to return.  This is a brand new phone that is no longer brand new because I will be on my second "reconditioned" one.

0 Likes
aaronbateman

Mine has started doing this as well. No audio from speaker. My camera will also not auto focus suddenly. I have not dropped this, and it has been in a case. Pissed off. If I cannot make or receive calls, this thing is useless.

0 Likes
primortal
Master - Level 1

Just like any defective device get it replaced....