Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
steampunk_cowboy
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's Tuesday, 11 June 2013, and rumors continue about the much anticipated release of Google Jelly Bean 4.3 (or some variant of it). Though it didn't happen yesterday the 10th as some had expected--others now say July, an article by Robert Triggs just a few hours ago on Android Authority begs the question "Galaxy Nexus passes through Bluetooth SIG, is Android 4.3 incoming?" Apparently, a GT-I9250 (aka "Maguro": GSM/HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus variant on AT&T/T-Mobile networks) was spied being tested against Bluetooth standards, a requirement for new update releases. That, my friends, is a major step toward our beloved GNexes getting another transfusion that's slated to resolve the over-discussed problems of overheating and rapidly draining batteries. Plus, gaining a couple of new features: a new camera UI and a power-saving Bluetooth upgrade to v4.0 that most higher end devices have. To read Robert Triggs' complete article, go to " http://m.androidauthority.com/galaxy-nexus-passes-bluetooth-android-4-3-224336/ " . I'm so (steam)punked, I check my phone's System Updates in Settings every hour or so.

Re: Galaxy Nexus 4.3 OTA Upgrade?
steampunk_cowboy
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's Fathers Day, 16 June 2013... I was sure that the moment I turned on my GNex this morning that the 4.3 OTA update would arrive. Didn't happen, but what a nice FD gift that would have been. Day's not over... who knows, could happen.

0 Likes
mbe3204m
Enthusiast - Level 3

steampunk, guessing that's a joke...if you've owned a Gnex for a while now on Verizon's network you know it'll be months before we get 4.3, if we ever get it Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Has Android 4.3 been released yet for the unlocked GSM version? Until I'm not going to bother worrying about it. Google has released enough updates on the individual apps and their Google Services app that I have already seen improvements.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JiTiRo

With the revelation of a security vulnerability that has existed since Android 1.6, an update of some sort is due. The vulnerabilty allows for a previously signed App to be modified (assumedly maliciously) and still appear to be correctly, digitally, signed.

There's an app to test for this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bluebox.labs.onerootscanner

Read more here:

http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/07/11/134228/android-master-key-vulnerability-checker-now-live

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google have FIXED it on the server side.  There are a couple of posts/articles on AndroidCentral.com that explain it better then I ever could.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DroidGalaxy
Enthusiast - Level 3

It got released today.. Hope Verizon does not screw up this update as they did with 4.2.2  and they prepared for the 4.3 OTA release to come soon. I will feel sorry for anyone who decides to get a new Nexus 7 LTE on verizon as i am sure it will suffer the same fate as the GN. Cant imagine why google would even give big red another nexus device.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

DroidGalaxy wrote:

It got released today.. Hope Verizon does not screw up this update as they did with 4.2.2  and they prepared for the 4.3 OTA release to come soon. I will feel sorry for anyone who decides to get a new Nexus 7 LTE on verizon as i am sure it will suffer the same fate as the GN. Cant imagine why google would even give big red another nexus device.

I saw that it was released on the tech sites. I hooe we won't wait too long. Until then I will will work with the OS my Nexus has installed.

0 Likes
djb6

I too am wondering when we are going to get the update. I noticed that on googles factory images, there is not even an image for 4.3 for verizon. I do hope that verizon is planning on rolling this update out to us as it is being reported it helps with things such as the battery life.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

I just got 4.3 on my Nexus 10.  If history is any guide, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus will be 3-6 months behind.  Assuming it gets an update at all.  And you'll have to do the Google Services Framework shuffle to get it to notice the update if it ever goes live.

It was a nice six months or so that my phone and tablet were on the same version.  I waited for 4.x and specifically chose Nexus devices so that my portable devices would be running the same platform.  So much for that plan.  The Galaxy Nexus should never have been called a Nexus device.  I blame Google, Verizon, and Samsung equally for the pathetic support of this device.