Samsung Galaxy S4 - Mobile Network Type switching from 4G-LTE to 3G-eHRPD?
jab8283

Unlike my HTC Thunderbolt phone which I could choose 3G or 4G depending on my location, I can't perform this same task on the Samsung Galaxy S4 because the button doesn't exist. Only options available in 'Preferred Network Mode' are: 1-Global, 2-LTE/CDMA, or 3-GSM/UMTS. There is not an option to choose either 4G-LTE or 3G-CDMA (eHRPD).

The location I work around has 4G network service, but at home I only have 3G network service. With my HTC Thunderbolt that was not a problem because I could manually switch between the network types depending on which service was available. However with my new Samsung GS4 that cannot be done and the phone doesn't know I don't have 4G service but remains in that mode which means I have no access to network as I would in 3G mode.

It's a shame I paid $700 for a phone that doesn't offer the flexibility to utilize available network resources. Has anyone figured out how to combat this problem, or does anyone know of a way to 'UNLOCK' Mobile Network Mode settings?  I love this new Samsung GS4 over my old HTC Thunderbolt, but I don't like that options available to me in one device is not available in the other device.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 - Mobile Network Type switching from 4G-LTE to 3G-eHRPD?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The phone should switch to a 3G network if the 4G network isn't available.  Keep it in LTE/CDMA and it will switch automatically.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Utilizing the network in your area is very important jab8283. Ann154 is correct, the phone should automatically switch to the appropriate network when you're in that particular area. This is the reason the option is unavailable. Are you having any issues with service (calls, data, apps, email, text?). If you are please let us know and we can tackle that issues separately. A great way to ensure your connecting the the right network is to simply power cycle when you get home and when you arrive at work. Please keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
jab8283

Since I am more than 40-miles from the nearest 4G coverage area, I would think my phone would automatically go into 3G mode and stay there which I have full bars at -68dB which means my data service is flying really fast. However the phone keeps forcing 4G mode with one bar or less at -89dB or higher which causes data to slow to less than dial-up speed and most times the browser crashes.  When I come home, I now restart the phone hoping the phone will see the local tower which is still in 3G mode but for whatever reason phone will still try to force 4G mode when it's no where near me.

For last 2-1/2 years I was using my HTC Thunderbolt 4G phone. The great thing about it was when I was in a fringe or no 4G service area, I could flip a switch in my phone to put it in 3G mode and I never had any issues. Then when I went into a 4G area, I'd switch it back for even faster data speed. I erred when I assumed the Samsung GS4 shared that feature however it does not. The only available options are automatic U.S. mode and automatic U.K. mode.

My 3G equipped Cellco tower is exactly 2.6 miles southwest out in open country. I am trying to work a solution to purchase a repeater/amplifier system for the 700MHz (4G-LTE), 800MHz (3G-CDMA), and 1900MHz Verizon bands with specialized directional yagi antenna beam to mount outside my home to increase signal strength to force my phone to stay in 3G mode until Cellco has the chance to upgrade this tower facility to 4G mode.

Obviously it would've just been easier to flip a virtual switch in my new phone to force 3G mode but for whatever reason that option was taken away from the consumer and now we are back to the old days of now I have service, now I don't. Of course we all know this has nothing whatsoever to do with Voice/Text calls and those work as they are supposed to. The 3G/4G is entirely about the data and internet service which is why I bought a smartphone. Handy little gizmo's when everything is running right.

0 Likes
slowwevo

unfortunately jab8283 you are now screwed,if you look at the comment above your last from v.w.c.s.   and i quote "the phone should automatically switch to the appropriate network when you're in that particular area"

key word being "should" what you have to understand is everytime they release an update to "fix" a problem,they dont address the problem,instead add additional bloatware to your phone ,which compounds things,case in point -the newest JB update for the S3,which verizon has now pulled,it seems they didnt actually test it before it was released,according to my guy in lvl 2 tech those who have this update have effectively disabled there 4G,also 3G now freezes or drops entirely,and there is no way to remove it once installed,So much for my unlimited data plan....

I see a Huuuge lawsuit in verizons future

Should work and Actually working are 2 completely different things,I like many others are now looking for an alternative carrier that doesn't add unwanted bloatware

0 Likes