bluetooth - wireless issues with samsung S4 due to Android 4.2.2 ?
kwinton

Just upgraded to an S4 over the weekend, and with 20 minutes of using it to stream music to bluetooth speaker, the WIFI gets corrupted.  Have been using my Droid Bionic for this for 2 years with no problems.

Searching various forums I find 1000's of posts from people saying that as soon as they get an Android 4.2.2 device, or they old devices get updated to 4.2.2, this happens and there must be a bug in the 4.2.2 bluetooth stack.

Very disappointing, as I use bluetooth and wifi together all the time.

Verizon support has no ideas.

I'm thinking I just have to return the S4 and go back to my old Bionic, since there's no indication of when this is going to get resolved.

Anybody have any hope for this?

0 Likes
Re: bluetooth - wireless issues with samsung S4 due to Android 4.2.2 ?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for providing your feedback to us, kwinton.
You mentioned that the WiFi get "corrupted" after streaming music via bluetooth? What exactly happens?
Once I can get more details we can test it to get a resolution for you. You seem like music lover like myself and I want to see what can be done to make this right.

Tamara H.
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kwinton

When using my S4 to stream music via WIFI to a bluetooth speaker, withing 15 minutes the WIFI connection becomes unusable and I have to turn WIFI off and back on (or reboot the phone) to get it to work again.  This occurs every time when using WIFI and bluetooth together.  We have four old android phones in our house, and four android tables.  Any device that gets updated to android 4.2.2 instantly has this problem...any device not on 4.2.2, or the same device *before* it is update to 4.2.2, has no problem.  We also have three different bluetooth devices, and it occurs regardless of which one is used.  We have had to send two tables back to the mfg. (twice each), and the problem is only fixed when the vendor installs their old version of android prior to 4.2.2.  There are 1000's of posts on various forums across many devices reporting this problem with 4.2.2, and unless you can put a prior release on the S4, I fear you can't fix it and I will just have return my phone and keep using my old Bionic.  Very disappointing.

0 Likes
mojoseppi

I am also having issues recently bluetooth headset lg tones I have been using everyday at gym working perfectly fine. Now whenever I connect a bluetooth device the phone device volume is reduced to almost nothing . I have also noticed once you turn off bluetooth and turn phone off and back on turns volume on device back on.this is very frustrating and is making me miss calls text and or notifications.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information, mojoseppi. I can just imagine how frustrating it must be. Did you recently update the software on your device?

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
mojoseppi

I have recently upgraded to 4.3 android version. I really been doing some research and seems to be a problem for most people with galaxy ,even from past models of any galaxy upgrading to new software. So Again regardless of any Bluetooth device, my Honda car , Motorola , lg tones , it doesn't matter the results are the same once connected to phone, all the phone volume is reduced or turned off and almost muted. Phone calls will sometimes work but all media/music or notifications sound will not come through Bluetooth. You have to physically turn phone off and back on to reinstate the volume on device. Now when i say volume on device....... I mean everything  ex: keyboard key tap sound , screen lock sound , notification ringtone, ringtone, also instead of speaker being used for music or media ex:sound watching movie on device all sound is routed through top ear speaker and is very faint, not through rear speaker of phone like previously! I have played process of elimination in store and at home, ex; different Bluetooth..... I tried getting replacement phone, still does same thing , factory reset all phones still does it so its not device and not the Bluetooth.

0 Likes
dgporter

I've got the same issue on a brand new Galaxy s4.  Took it back to Best Buy.  Best Buy tech replaced the phone and I made him demonstrate the bluetooth working before I left the store.  It worked.  Then I came home and set my phone up, downloaded apps and tried the bluetooth again.  Now it doesn't work (on second phone).  Perhaps it's an app that is interfering with bluetooth, but I'm loath to remove all apps and add them one at a time to see which one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for also sharing your experience, dgporter. Prior to deleting all apps, test it in Safe Mode to see if it is an app that affects the way the Bluetooth works.
http://vz.to/15rkFOi
In the meantime, we will alert the sofware development team so this can be investigated & we can provide answers.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
dgporter

Thanks for the reply and for the information about safe mode. The problem was an App called Text+ downloaded from GooglePlay. Once the app was removed, bluetooth started working like a champ. Just to be sure, I re-installed TextPlus and it killed bluetooth again. I left feedback on TextPlus letting them know about the problem.

0 Likes
SEAYAH

Is this a problem with Galaxi 4 only. I'm about to upgrade and I use the Bluetooth all the time.

0 Likes