Broke Side button (lock button)
candylander
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can anyone please help me? I need to know if this is fixable (or not)... I have a Droid Razr Maxx, and all of the sudden, out of no where, today my side (lock screen) button just quit working! Did anyone else ever experience this problem? The only way I can unlock my phone, to use it, is if I either call it (to activate/light up the screen) or if I plug it in to charge, and the screen activates/lights up.  I am unable to answer any incoming text messages, but I am able to answer an incoming phone call.  This is extremely frustrating, as I am basically phoneless (if I were in an emergency, it would do me no good since I cant light up/unlock my screen without either calling it, or charging it). If anyone else experienced this problem, what did you do to fix it? Someone please help me stat!!!

Labels (2)
Re: Broke Side button (lock button)
candylander
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh, and when you press that side button, you can feel it go in, but it doesn't seem to connect with the phone, I hope that makes sense and hope someone can help!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might have to get a warranty replacement. It sounds like a defect.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello candylander! I understand the importance of having a working device at all times. The issue that you are experiencing is certainly not known. We would need to further troubleshoot so that we can better assist. Please send me a private message with your name and mobile number along with an alternate number to where you can be reached!

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Not applicable

You should call Verizon and see if they consider this a manufacturer's defect or user damage.  If a manufacturer's defect, they will send you a refurbished replacement phone per your contract if the phone is less than one year old and still under warranty.  If this is considered user damage, you would have to file an insurance claim with Asurion if you purchased insurance.  Otherwise, you will have to purchase a replacement phone or contact the manufacturer and look into sending them the phone for repair at your expense.

0 Likes
andresvillamar

This just happened to my phone as well - beyond frustrated. This phone is less and a year old.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Just a heads up:

If you and the OP is wanting to Keep your original phone then my suggestion is to send it to Motorola because taking the phone to Verizon and using Asurion for a replacement.  will get you a certified returned replacement. meaning a unit that was sent to verizon and passed and has been recirculated out.. so to retain your original device you bought it's best to have motorola replace the side button.. 

Hope this helps.. Have a Happy Thanksgiving. b33

0 Likes
jerrybushnell

My side button has died a slow death, previously required 1 to 20 pushes to turn on screen, now won't work at all.  An unsatisfactory work around is to turn on the screen by plugging in to power, or calling yourself, then downloading the "Shake" app, which will turn the screen on by shaking the phone.  It works, but no way to turn the phone off, and if it every goes off, I don't know how I will get it back on.  No sympathy from Verizon store, my phone is 1 1/2 years old, so I have to wait a while to upgrade.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Or as I mentioned to a couple other members on the thread check and see what it would cost to send it into Motorola for replacement there will be a small cost for replacement but at least you can get it functional again..

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jerrybushnell,

We need a VZW medic, stat! And just like that, I'm here. Is there any physical damage to the phone or is this just a defect? Which model device is it? And do you have insurance or an extended warranty?

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes