Changing keyboard size
jennmanski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Every so often while I'm using the touch screen keyboard for texting, entering something in facebook, anything...the size of the keyboard will get larger. I kinda like it bigger, but can't figure out what I did to make it change sizes! I have a Droid Razr with the latest updates, but this has happened from time to time since I've had the phone. Any ideas on how to change the size of the keyboard? (This has only happened in landscape mode, and that's what I'm looking for.)

Labels (2)
Re: Changing keyboard size
John_S
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing here. I also prefer the larger keyboard because it makes it easier to type without hitting wrong keys. I've asked this question on another android discussion board but haven't gotten answer yet. I'm glad to see that someone else has experienced the same thing. If I find out anything I will post the answer here.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi John_S,

I know having a larger keyboard is an important feature on a device and I want to help. I have listed a few ways to enlarging the screen:

The font size can be changed for the internet browser and your email accounts.

There is also a "Zoom Mode" magnifier feature for anything on the screen.

1. To change the font size in the Browser:

• Launch the internet Browser
  • Touch the Menu key
  • Touch More
  • Scroll down and touch Settings
  • Touch Text Size
  • Select your desired option:
  • Tiny
  • Small
  • Normal (Default)
  • Large
  • Huge
  • Either close and re-open browser to activate feature or click on next link to see text size change. Google homepage may not reflect text size change.

2. To change font size for your email:
  • Pull up your email account with the Email application from homescreen or applications tray.
  • Default email account will be displayed. Press the Menu hard key, select Email settings.
  • At email settings menu, select Read options.
  • Tap on Select text size.
  • Selections are:
  • 12 - Smallest
  • 14 - Small
  • 16 - Normal
  • 18 - Big
  • 20 - Biggest
  • Tap on size to set.
  • Text size of email inbox will not be changed.
  • Open any email to see text size change.
  • Font change will occur for all accounts set-up under email application.
  • Font size for email in Gmail application cannot be changed.

3. Zoom Mode

There is a screen magnification feature call Zoom Mode on your DROID RAZR that will magnify anything on the screen.

To activate:
  • From any homescreen, press the Menu hard key
  • Select Settings
  • Scroll down and Select Accessibility
  • Check Accessibility on. 
  • Select Zoom Mode
  • You will receive a warning screen.  Select OK
  • Magnifying box will open on screen. Touch corner of magnifying box to drag it around the visible screen to magnify all areas.
  •
  • Press the " " button to Zoom in and magnify, 
  • Press the "-" button to Zoom out and make text smaller.
  •     Text will not go smaller than normal font size.
  • You can touch inside magnifying box, scroll around, and select applications and objects as if it were your normal display touchscreen. 
  • Magnifying box will be overlayed onto everything you do on the display screen.
  •
  • To close magnfiying box, go back to Accessibility settings and uncheck Zoom Mode.

Thanks,
Pamelaf_vzw
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
John_S
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate your help but this is not what I'm looking for. As the original poster has said, at times when you touch the screen to text while in landscape mode the size of the keyboard increases. I have had it happen three or four times, but can't figure out what caused it or duplicate it. It's not a matter of the size of the font, it is the size of the keyboard it's self.

0 Likes
rich_f
Enthusiast - Level 1

John did you figure this out? I too had this happen tonight and its driving me crazy? Thanks Richard

0 Likes
rich_f
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can you look into this please?

John_S
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I haven't been able to figure it out so far. One day last week it did it almost every time I typed but it hasn't done it again since.

kali227

I'm so glad I found this thread. My Droid Razr also has the "secret, awesome but intermittent, extra-large keyboard tease." If someone finds out how to activate this feature (or bug or w/e it is) on demand, please! We need to know! Smiley Happy

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Kali227 Just something to pass on to ya Google has a new Keyboard app they Released recently and it's a Nice keyboard I'm currently using it one of my Razr Maxx's  You can find it in the Google Playstore Listed as  (( Google Keyboard )) Smiley Happy b33

0 Likes
Liisabjork
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just figured it out. I love the larger keyboard too. I have LG 3 android.

I was doing everything possible !

What I did was Swiping from the left bottom corner of the keyboard to the right upper top. I saw a pink swipe line when I did that and it changed to bigger. I think we are accidentally swiping which may be a zoom feature.

So try swiping the small keyboard . bottom left to upper right. Good luck!

0 Likes