1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2013 2:18 PM by Bfizzzle Go to original post RSS
      • 40. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?

Elector wrote:

believe me there are more than one cell towers where I live, and in Downtown Manhattan you would have to have loads of them to accommodate millions of users at one given time.

Where YOU live. I live in the city limits of my town we have ONE tower then next closest one it several miles away.

Honestly if you think Verizon networks can handle MILLIONS of connections all streaming HD videos at the same time you are deluding yourself. As I said I'm posting FACTS. A cell tower has 3 sectors each sector can handle a 150 Mbps MAX with Verizon because they use 10 MHz of spectrum on downlink.

Now when Verizon deploys is AWS spectrum( this will happen later this year ), deploys any spectrum they get from the OTA TV spectrum auctions( probably 2015 at the earliest. More like 2016 ), refarms 1x and 3G( Verizon stated this will happen by 2021 though could happen sooner I suppose ), upgrades to LTE-Advanced( no time table ) and deploys "mini-towers"( for lack of a better word ) and there are sufficient numbers of devices that can take advantage of these frequencies, then sure something more akin to unlimited can be possible. We're probably talking 8-10 years at the earliest. So until then it's pointless to be asking  for it.

I would love to have unlimited data. Unlike most everyone else I am informed on the technical limitations of the technology so I accept that as not possible at this point. Asking for unlimited data at this point is like satellite internet customers asking them to increase the speed of light so they can have sub 500 ms latency.

• 41. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?
          Elector

Brian68 wrote:

Elector wrote:

believe me there are more than one cell towers where I live, and in Downtown Manhattan you would have to have loads of them to accommodate millions of users at one given time.

Where YOU live. I live in the city limits of my town we have ONE tower then next closest one it several miles away.

Honestly if you think Verizon networks can handle MILLIONS of connections all streaming HD videos at the same time you are deluding yourself.

Post has been snipped to make my reply

Brian what you are missing is "The Cell Companies are handling the traffic now" Be it HD videos or You Tube or countless other programs.

Verizon is trying to tell folks to believe the sky is falling and you my friend are falling for it.

At the present time HD Videos, Music all day long, Telephone Calls, Text Messages, You Tube or other intensive video and audio are being handled very nicely. Just my alluring to New York City mid-town is proof of that.

My city has over 120,000 people and Verizon has a gazillion cell towers and I and others have no problem with usage of the towers.

The Sky is falling mentality is the reason why Verizon can attempt to push people on limited bandwidth plans.

In reality they have spectrum which they are sitting on The FCC has verified this. They have the capacity to handle even more traffic on their networks. And by Verizon's own statements they will be building out faster networks in the next few years.

But if you are led to believe that making a person pay more for this access to data is curbing the use then you are sadly being misled.

I just read a statement that Verizon is switching services to a VOIP type of service. It is less costly and it frees up their spectrum for other uses.

You may be right in that in the next 9 years this will all be a moot point because technology and new devices will be better allocated on the network. And it may very well be unlimited for everyone.

Lets just wish for the worst and hope for the best.

• 42. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?
            filiwili

Exactly...I should have had the option and the truth regardless of who uses how much.  Some of us use very little and some take up the slack...no problem.  I just would have liked the ability to use data if needed. 

• 43. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?
              filiwili

I should have included a discount thru my employer that no longer covered data starting this year.  Of course employer never mentioned that to anyone but sure makes sense from employer point of view.  Verizon knew that and admitted it.  It might have made a change in my decision. 

• 44. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?
                filiwili

Yes, they did and admitted it.  They used the words "your bill will be less".  Please see above message which they also admitted to knowing at the time.  It was my fault, I will agree, for changing my plan to begin with.  I have been with Verizon for a long time and never had a problem. 

• 45. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?

Elector wrote:

By my previous post on the figures and saturation there is more than 50% still on unlimited. By Verizons own news release 30-35% of its customer base went to the New Shared Data Plan. However many of these changes happened because of a new customer or because of a cell phone subsidy.

No there is no 50% on unlimited. Ok first of all I think it's safe to assume that that no one with a basic phone has unlimited data. That's 39% of Verizon customers. So get get 50% on unlimited you have to assume 80% of smartphone users are on unlimited. Which is NOT true. It's well under 50%. Considering unlimited stopped being offer in July 2011. How many current smartphone users didn't have smartphones then thus didn't have unlimited data? At least half. So that there puts that number to at most 30%

There are also people like me that got smartphone before the cut off but didn't get unlimited. I only got a smartphone when Verizon had a $15 data plan for 150 MB per month. I was dead set against paying $30 for data no matter how much it was. I stayed on that plan until this past July when I upgraded my phone and I couldn't keep that plan. Take those numbers into account and as I said you get maybe 25% at most.

• 46. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?
                    Elector

You know I totally forgot the percentage of people that have a basic phone. With the analogy you posted you may very well have dropped it down to 25%

In any case the unlimited is still available and I don't think its going away anytime soon. Say within the next year.

It will be obsolete when customers upgrade to newer phones with tiered data. If they see they don't want to shell out $700 for a new smart phone. I know my phones are working great so I will hold off for quite some time before I pay the full price once again.

Thank you for doing those figures for me.

• 47. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?

Ok I just looked it up. At the end of Q2 2011 when unlimited data stopped being offered Verizon had 89.7 million postpaid customers of which 36% had smartphones. That's 32.3 million customers. That's assuming all 32.3 were on unlimited data. As I said there were some like me that had cheaper tiered plans. So there is no way that all 32.3 million were on unlimited. Even if you were to assume 100% were on unlimited then and 100% are still Verizon customers and 100% still are on unlimited data today( highly unlikely ) 32.3/93.2 current customers is 34.7% total customers on unlimited.

• 48. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?
                        Elector

Again thank you. I always appreciate correct information. I had not realized there were so many customers. I remember 20 Million being the figure. Wow have the customers increased.

• 49. Re: Will Verizon keep grandfathered Unlimited Data?
                          tikibar1

Actually, the number is even higher now.  At the end of Q1 2013, Verizon Wireless had 93.2 million total retail postpaid customers.  Smartphones accounted for more than 61% of the Verizon Wireless retail postpaid customer phone base, up from 58% at the end of Q4 2012

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next