1 2 3 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 11:40 AM by SmilingBob RSS

how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?

skintchicken

i signed my first contract with verizon in october of 2010.  i am still using the same phone and am paying month to month.  i don't want to lose my unlimited data bc i think the future of phone usage/app accessibility will include lots of streaming.  i have been saving to buy a new phone at full price to keep my unlimited data.

tonight, however, i read a post by someone on here that has had me thinking.  he or she said that verizon could very well be waiting until whenever to announce that all unlimited data users on a month to month contract now have to either switch to a tiered plan or lose their service.  i am a very cynical and pessimistic person so this theory caught my attention.

the reason i bring this up is i plan on getting a new phone this year and i would be very upset if i paid full price for a phone just to have to switch to a tiered plan a few months later (spending all that extra money for no reason).  i noticed that brian68 seems very knowledgeable about verizon and mentioned in the thread i referenced earlier that verizon intends to get rid of unlimited data altogether in about 15 months.  how likely is this?  i don't mind going to a tiered plan if i have no choice, but i at least want a warning so i don't waste lots of money on a new phone.

• 1. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?
          Xyvis

The discussions you have read are all theories, nobody except Verizon knows for certain how long they will let everyone keep unlimited data.

June 27, 2012 was the last day to renew a contract and keep unlimited data, so the ideas are that around June 27, 2014 when the last of the unlimited data contracts has expired Verizon will force everyone to move to a tiered plan.

Whether they do or not, nobody here likely knows, however keep in mind that when you are off contract Verizon can make changes to your plan anytime they see fit and the only thing you can do is cancel your service, you're not in a contract so there is no recourse.

• 2. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?
            rcschnoor

skintchicken wrote:

i signed my first contract with verizon in october of 2010.  i am still using the same phone and am paying month to month.  i don't want to lose my unlimited data bc i think the future of phone usage/app accessibility will include lots of streaming.  i have been saving to buy a new phone at full price to keep my unlimited data.

tonight, however, i read a post by someone on here that has had me thinking.  he or she said that verizon could very well be waiting until whenever to announce that all unlimited data users on a month to month contract now have to either switch to a tiered plan or lose their service.  i am a very cynical and pessimistic person so this theory caught my attention.

the reason i bring this up is i plan on getting a new phone this year and i would be very upset if i paid full price for a phone just to have to switch to a tiered plan a few months later (spending all that extra money for no reason).  i noticed that brian68 seems very knowledgeable about verizon and mentioned in the thread i referenced earlier that verizon intends to get rid of unlimited data altogether in about 15 months.  how likely is this?  i don't mind going to a tiered plan if i have no choice, but i at least want a warning so i don't waste lots of money on a new phone.

The references about Verizon ending unlimited data completely in ~June 2014 are all just guesses. By that time, the bulk of Verizon's customers may already be on the Share Everything plan and Verizon may not do anything with those still left on legacy plans until they decide to change their phone again.

After all, Verizon still has customers on plans OLDER than the most recently retired plans and they have not been FORCED to switch to newer plans/rates.

As I have said, though, these are all just guesses and it may very well come to pass that you would lose your unlimited data in ~June 2014. Your call. No one will be able to tell you for certain. I guess it comes down to whether a full price phone is worth unlimited data for the next 15 months. How much data do you use? If you use over 5 GB/month it would probably be worth it.

• 3. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?
              SydneyK

As everyone else here already said, there is no way to know what will happen to the grandfathered plans. I still have mine, and I've spent the last year planning and plotting on how to hold onto it. But then I thought about the cost difference between retail and contract, divided that up among 20 or 24 months, and I'd end up paying a lot for an unlimited data plan when I only use about 1GB/month. Of course your mileage may vary; as rcschnoor said, if you use a lot of data, it might be worth it.

• 4. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?

NOBODY knows the answer.  Maybe July 2014 is a logical guess.  It could be sooner.  It could be later.  It could be never.

• 5. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?

Not sure what happened to my last post a there wasn't anything wrong with it .

Verizon is not likely to do anything before June 28th 2014 when all unlimited data users are out of contract. Now technically contracts have nothing to to do with data plans. Verizon could get rid of unlimited data before then. Also it's weird that if contract do not have anything to do with when Verizon ends unlimited data that Verizon insists you can not keep unlimited data if you renew your contract. One would think Verizon would want as many people under contract as possible. Not have them month to month where they could leave anytime without penalty.

This doesn't mean that June 28th Verizon kills unlimited data. I think most would agree that you are safe to have unlimited data until at least then. Meaning it's very doubtful they kill off unlimited data before then. So I wouldn't worry about losing it before that date. After that who knows.

Now while June 2014 is just a guess and some here might think you shouldn't suggest guess as factual I believe that if someone is considering spending an extra $400 or more on a phone to keep unlimited that they know that it is POSSIBLE they will only have it for a certain amount of time. $400 plus taxes for the next 14 months about $30 a month average. I think one should know if that possibility is worth it or should they just get an upgrade and say a 5 GB plan which only be $20 more per month. I would feel bad if a year form now someone asked the same question and everyone told them "no worries, no one knows. you might get to keep it for years" and then 4 months later Verizon killed unlimited and that person wasted $400 on the advice of others.

Considering the money involved I think Verizon should give at least a years warning. Though I doubt it will happen.

• 6. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?

Based on the uncertainty of this, I will keep my current Motorola Droid Razr Maxx and unlimited data as long as the phone continues to work.  At that point, I'll make a decision based on the latest info from Verizon.  If they have not announced an end to unlimited data at that time, I'll pay full retail for a new phone, knowing there is some risk involved.  After all, there is a possibility they will never kill our unlimited data.

• 7. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?
                      Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Thank you all for posting your comments. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help each other out.

@skintchicken,

I definitely understand your concern regarding the unlimited data plan. I assure you that you will be allowed to keep your unlimited data plan as long as you pay full retail price for your new phone. Currently, all customer that have the unlimited data plan are able to keep it as long as they don't upgrade at a discounted price, regardless of them being under contract or month to month. What you've heard about it going away for month to month customer is just a rumor.

I'm here if you have any further concerns.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

• 8. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Currently, all customer that have the unlimited data plan are able to keep it as long as they don't upgrade at a discounted price, regardless of them being under contract or month to month. What you've heard about it going away for month to month customer is just a rumor.

Keyword being CURRENTLY. Also you can not renew your contract and keep unlimited. That's just factual. When Verizon made this policy change the CEO himself even stated this. Did he get his own policy wrong? Not rumor, it's speculation. There is a difference. Yes keep inferring people can keep unlimited forever until 30 days before you change it. That won't tick off MILLIONS of people that pay full price for a phone and will have unlimited for only a few months before losing it. When that day gets here this board will be flooded with angry posts and frankly I won't blame them.

If Verizon wanted people to have unlimited data the wouldn't have A) ended it for new customers in 2011. B) make it harder for those unlimited customer to keep it before forcing them to pay full price for a phone to keep it.

Verizon knows that most of the unlimited customers will either move to a tiered plan or leave for another carrier. Thus Verizon gets rid of unlimited data through attrition. I don't think Verizon counted on people using the upgrade loophole which helps these people keep unlimited for much longer than Verizon was anticipating. So I suspect Verizon will end unlimited data sooner rather than later. If Verizon still has a  $30 unlimited data plan on Jan 1 2015 I will be shocked and I will come back here and eat crow. Verizon might have an unlimited plan of Share Everything but I suspect it will be uber expensive, considering they charge $375 for 50 GB.

• 9. Re: how long will unlimited data be around, grandfathered or not?

NOBODY knows.  I suspect very few Verizon employees know other than senior management.  There is a reasonable possibility that we can keep our unlimited data indefinitely, but NOBODY knows.

1 2 3 Previous Next