2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 6:05 AM by David Lefevers RSS

4G 551L USB modem Linux drivers

chatsworth

Linux support is listed for the 551L USB modem at the following link

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5632

Operating System Support

• Windows® Vista, Windows® XP and Windows® 7; Mac OS X 10.4 or higher; Linux OS

There were no Linux drivers included when I received my 551L modem, where can I download the Linux driver?  I assume there must a Linux version of VZAccess® Manager available for download, at least that is implied since Verizon has listed "Linux OS" as being supported.

• 1. Re: 4G 551L USB modem Linux drivers
          lane11

I had a 551L working under Linux for a couple of days until I canceled service because Verizon's 4G network assigns a privately routed IP (10.x.x.x) which does not allow any inbound traffic.  If they change that policy in the future I will sign up for service again.

The device does work well with Linux.  If your using kernel version ~3.2.26 or newer, support is already built in, if your on an older kernel, I also tested on kernel 2.6.32.2, you can download Linux device support for the Novatel Ovation MC551 a.k.a. Verizon USB551L from

http://www.nvtl.com/support/mobile-broadband-support/support-host-platform/linux-setup-guide-cdma-devices

The Novatel download doesn't include the device ID for the 551L, but you can manually add it to

/usr/share/doc/novatel_modem_drivers/hardwarelist which the /usr/share/doc/novatel_modem_drivers/configure script uses to setup the device.  The device ID can be viewed with `lsusb'

#lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1410:b001 Novatel Wireless

You could also have a look at /etc/udev/nvtl_modem.sh which is a script installed by the package which inserts the module named "option" and adds support for the device.  After you have device support setup /dev/ttyUSB0 will be created and you can use PPP to connect to the 4G network.

# pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 defaultroute connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD*99***3#"

This will make the connection, you can verify an IP address was assigned to the ppp0 interface by doing `ifconfig'  you also may need to add a default route with

# route add default gw 10.64.64.64 ppp0

The connection does seem to drop sometimes, the interval seems to be completely random, sometimes it only stays up for about 8 hours, but just before I canceled service I had it up for almost 24 hours before I manually brought it down...

• 2. Re: 4G 551L USB modem Linux drivers
            David Lefevers

the number I was given:

4gLTE: *99#

APN:vzwinternet

3G: #777

account: 10 digit mobile munber@vzw3g.com

password: vzw

haven't had any luck with either.

I set up the scripts as in http://bec-systems.com/site/203/using-a-verizon-usb720-modem-in-an-embedded-linux-system with no luck, timeout.

tried uing the command line with the same results:

pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 defaultroute connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD*99#".

using minicom AT+CSQ it retruns values of (99,99) which is not good but I'm not sure if this even applies when using a 3G/4G modem. 

Just feeling my way around so any help appreciated.