2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2013 6:05 AM by David Lefevers RSS

4G 551L USB modem Linux drivers

Linux support is listed for the 551L USB modem at the following link

Operating System Support

• Windows® Vista, Windows® XP and Windows® 7; Mac OS X 10.4 or higher; Linux OS

There were no Linux drivers included when I received my 551L modem, where can I download the Linux driver?  I assume there must a Linux version of VZAccess® Manager available for download, at least that is implied since Verizon has listed "Linux OS" as being supported.

• 1. Re: 4G 551L USB modem Linux drivers

I had a 551L working under Linux for a couple of days until I canceled service because Verizon's 4G network assigns a privately routed IP (10.x.x.x) which does not allow any inbound traffic.  If they change that policy in the future I will sign up for service again.

The device does work well with Linux.  If your using kernel version ~3.2.26 or newer, support is already built in, if your on an older kernel, I also tested on kernel, you can download Linux device support for the Novatel Ovation MC551 a.k.a. Verizon USB551L from

The Novatel download doesn't include the device ID for the 551L, but you can manually add it to

/usr/share/doc/novatel_modem_drivers/hardwarelist which the /usr/share/doc/novatel_modem_drivers/configure script uses to setup the device.  The device ID can be viewed with `lsusb'

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1410:b001 Novatel Wireless

You could also have a look at /etc/udev/nvtl_modem.sh which is a script installed by the package which inserts the module named "option" and adds support for the device.  After you have device support setup /dev/ttyUSB0 will be created and you can use PPP to connect to the 4G network.

# pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 defaultroute connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD*99***3#"

This will make the connection, you can verify an IP address was assigned to the ppp0 interface by doing `ifconfig'  you also may need to add a default route with

# route add default gw ppp0

The connection does seem to drop sometimes, the interval seems to be completely random, sometimes it only stays up for about 8 hours, but just before I canceled service I had it up for almost 24 hours before I manually brought it down...

• 2. Re: 4G 551L USB modem Linux drivers
            David Lefevers

the number I was given:

4gLTE: *99#

3G: #777

account: 10 digit mobile munber@vzw3g.com

password: vzw

haven't had any luck with either.

I set up the scripts as in http://bec-systems.com/site/203/using-a-verizon-usb720-modem-in-an-embedded-linux-system with no luck, timeout.

tried uing the command line with the same results:

pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 defaultroute connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD*99#".

using minicom AT+CSQ it retruns values of (99,99) which is not good but I'm not sure if this even applies when using a 3G/4G modem. 

Just feeling my way around so any help appreciated.