7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2013 12:32 PM by aaknitt2 RSS

Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support

c321sky

Is there Linux kernel support for the Pantech UML295 USB modem?  I just checked the kernel Changelog files at ftp.kernel.org for the v3.x kernel and there are entries showing support for the UML290, but nothing for the UML295.  Has anyone tried a UML295 with Linux?  Maybe it would be recognized as a UML290?

• 1. Re: Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support
          dimap52

I'd try plugging it in and see if it works. Verizon indicates they are using a web based comm manager to drive it and that "Linux support is coming soon". This probably means kernel modules for it are being developed, but it might just work as an NDIS device just as android hones do when tethered. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 and my Razr M tethers just fine under the Network Manager as an NDIS device.

• 2. Re: Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support
            c321sky

I haven't ordered the UML295 yet, I wanted to make sure it worked under Linux before doing so.  I've used a Verizon USB 551L modem with Linux in the past and it connected to the 4G network using the following command:

chat -v '' 'At$nwqmiconnect=,,' > /dev/ttyUSB0 < /dev/ttyUSB0

Will the UML295 connect the same way?

• 3. Re: Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support
              dimap52

Hmmm. Interesting command. I just pulled up 'man chat' and it says it establishes bi-directional link via ppp daemon so if this new modem supports ndis only then I would be inclined to say no. But as an ethernet over usb device it should work via Network Manager listed as a wired device. I haven't looked at any documentation to see which modem/ethernet protocols this device supports so I can't say for certain if PPP is suppoted or not.

• 4. Re: Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support
                natestar13

The UML295 does not have the same AT commands or PPP interface as the UML290 or 551L.  It has a web GUI that you use to connect to Verizon.  dimap52 is correct that the UML295 comes up as a Ethernet interface that you can use with NetworkManager to connect with.  It will give you an IP address of 192.168.32.1 and you can access its web interface by browsing to http://192.168.32.2.  From there, you can configure to auto-connect, connect to certain networks, and various other options.  I created a wiki page on my company's git repo that has details on what information and commands I've gathered from using the UML295.  Hopefully this helps getting it working on your system.

https://bitbucket.org/accelecon/modemmanager/wiki/PantechUML295

• 5. Re: Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support
                  useradmn

the UML295 does not register with Linux as PPP. The hardware is simply a USB to Ethernet adapter. I'm using a Debian distro and have tested.

The USB modem will hand out an internal IP-  is its own intranet.  the Public IP is not directly assigned to your machine. As natestar13 said, you'd have to navigate to the addy of 192.168.32.1 to access the web interface. If you're working with CLI, you'll need to install Lynx so you can browse the web via CLI.

but anyway, do 'lsusb' to make sure that your machine has recognized the adapter. Then 'ifconfig' to grab the interface name. My UML295 was eth1. Yours might be different. Also, mine did not automatically grab an IP address, so I had run 'dhclient eth1' to have the interface get an ip address.

I went over to:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces/

and i added:

iface eth1 inet dhcp

# this tells my machine to ensure that eth1 gets a IP address when the networking service is started.

do an 'ifconfig' to see if the machine has a IP address. Voila! You're connected to the net. I'm on day 1 - im going to figure out how to get the public IP assigned to the interface. I'll post my findings. Please share your findings.

Daniel

• 6. Re: Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support
                    aaknitt2

I am trying to get a UML295 working on a Raspberry Pi running Debian Wheezy.  I'm using the command line interface.  The UML295 shows up using lsusb and shows up as eth1 when I run ifconfig.  However, I can't seem to get it the Pi to pull an IP from the UML295 even after taking the steps listed above (adding iface eth1 inet dhcp to /etc/network/interfaces).  I've tried setting eth1 to a static IP in the same range (192.168.32.100) but no luck there either.  I can't ping 192.168.32.2 or 192.168.32.1.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

• 7. Re: Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support
                      aaknitt2

As a followup on this, I was able to get the UML295 working with a Raspberry Pi.  The issue was a bug in the kernel.  There is a kernel fix available, check out this forum thread:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49223

Andy