Incentive to switch from unlimited data to Share Everything?
Fishopotamus
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have an unlimited data plan. I know that this plan will not last forever, as Verizon continually manipulates customers over the the Share Everything plans. I am not necessarily opposed to Share Everything; I can foresee adding a tablet or additional smartphone to my plan at some point in the future, and I know this is the only way to go. Although I use very little data, I like knowing that I don't have to closely monitor my data consumption. However, as far as I know, there are ZERO incentives for those customers on unlimited data plans to switch to Share Everything. They are treated like anybody else, despite the fact that Verizon stands to make considerable profits off conversion - both from more expensive Share Everything plans, and by freeing up potential bandwidth for other customers and services. Come on Verizon...I've been an unlimited data customer for years, since I purchased my original Droid. Are you really just going to kick me to the Share Everything curb along with any other new subscriber? Not even a discount on a new fixed data plan? LAME.

Labels (1)
Re: Incentive to switch from unlimited data to Share Everything?
rcschnoor
Legend

It all depends on your usage. I, too, was an unlimited data plan customer with 2 smartphones on unlimited data. I also had 2 basic phones. Also like you, I did not consume a large amount of data. I had no intention to switch to the Share Everything plan.

Recently, I upgraded one smartphone and looked at my options on upgrading 2 basic phones, either to new basic phones or new smartphones. For my smartphone, I weighed my options on paying full retail to keep unlimited, switching to tiered data at 2GB for $30/month or switching to the the Share Everything plan. For the basic phones, I weighed my options of new basic phones, new smartphones with tiered data at 2GB for $30/month each or switching to the Share Everything plan.

While upgrading the basic phones to new basic phones would have been the "cheapest" route, If I were to upgrade my smartphone and the 2 basic phones to smartphones while switching to the Share Everything plan it would only be an additional ~$25/month. If I wanted to keep my unlimited data, it would be an extra $400 for my smartphone and an extra $60/month for the data on the 2 new smartphones. If I wanted to switch to tiered data, it would have only been an extra $60/month for data on the 2 new smartphones.

I chose to upgrade to the Share Everything plan. I now have 4 smartphones on my plan with shared data. I have not changed my data usage habits AT ALL except to occasionally use the hotspot on my phone for my iPad, which would have been an additional charge had I chosen to keep my unlimited data. Why do I need an incentive to choose the best plan for me? If it wasn't the best plan for me, I don't think an incentive would have made a difference.

Whether or not you choose Share Everything makes no difference to me, but if it is the best choice for YOU, why would you need an incentive? If it isn't the best choice for you, why would you switch even if you we're given an incentive? Bottom line is you should choose the best plan which suits your needs.

Regardless, I wish you good luck in your choice.

kpprad

I have 5 smartphones 3 unlimited, 2 2g.  If I switched to Share Everything, my bill will not change BUT currently have 4 phones out of contract, with Share Everything, my per line charges would cost me over $100/per month more than I am paying now if I upgrade to "IN Contract" phone.  If I stayed 2 years, it would cost me $2,400 to stay.... Dont understand why Verizon would charge "in contract" customers $2,400 to stay with them.  Even the double data is no incentive since, if I go over it will cost me.   Please explain why a current out of contract customer is more important than a in contract customer.  Is it the $400-$500 fee per line that is locked in if you want to change carriers?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but I don't think it sounds quite right. Let's do the math.

5 smartphones x $40 line access fee = $200

30 GB of shared data = $130(currently)

4 of the smartphones out of contract x $25 lines access fee discount = -$100

Total for ALL 5 LINES with 30 GB of shared data = $230 + taxes

What are you paying for your current plan? 5 smartphone data plans = 5 x $30 = $150

5 x $10 line access fee = $50

That is a total of $200 WITHOUT your base Family Share plan cost.

Are you on a Family Share Talk & Text or just Family Share Talk? If you are paying MORE than $30 for your base calling plan, you are paying MORE than if you switched to More Everything. Yes, you are giving up your unlimited data, but 30 GB shared among 5 phones is 6 GB/phone. That is quite a bit of data. If the 2 phones currently with 2 GB of data DON'T increase their usage, that leaves 8 GB/line for the phones which currently have unlimited data.

Maybe you would save money if you switched. It is worth looking into, though.Smiley Happy

kpprad

I currently pay 230 for all my phones. If I go into contract with the 4 out of contract phones would I be charged the $100 you are discounting now?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Whats's this "you"? The person responding does not work for Verizon. This is a customer to customer forum.

Contracts get a discounted phones. The 2 year contract pays for the remainder of the phone over those 2 years. Not being on contract is cheaper because Verizon doesn't have to pay off the subsidy since there isn't one. Also if you were still on unlimited data those lines would have to pay full price for any phones they wanted to upgrade too. So what's the difference. You;re paying full price regardless. I'm not seeing what the complaint is about. Your situation isn't changing. Verizon rather have people either be off contract or buy phones on Edge and that's why those get discounts. Being off contract and paying full price is generally cheaper.

0 Likes
kpprad

My apologies to all. I didn't know this was customer only forum.

Verizon Customer to Verizon customer.... We will have to agree to disagree.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Disagree on what? That contract people that are getting $400 discounts on phones should also get a $25 per month discount on top of it? Once again when you were on unlimited data you had to pay full price on your phones. Off contract on More Everything you pay full price and you get a $25 per moth discount on 10 GB or more data plans. So in either case you are paying full price. So that part hasn't changed one bit for you. The difference is now you can get $25 off per line. 4 lines off contract that's $100 a month.

Say you get 4 new iPhones. Ok Verizon is out $420 each giving them to you on contract. That's $1680. And you wonder why Verizon charges on contract people more? In fact until recently Verizon used to charge the same then out of contract customers got mad that Verizon was charging them the same as contract even though they finished their contracts and thus paid off the subsidy.

Yeah kind of stinks having to monitor your data. kind of like I have to make sure my pipes don;t leak because I pay by the gallon for my water. If the water company offered my unlimited water for one set price would I care about leaks as much? Nope. Is that a good thing? Nope. People making sure they are not wasting bandwidth is actually better for all.

0 Likes