iPhone 5 not ringing
davisatlrc

My wife has always complained that she has to call me twice for my iPhone 5 to ring. I assumed that it was a problem with the iPhone sharing the same email address. But today I got a very important voicemail from my car insurance when my phone never rang. My phone was 100% not on mute or do not disturb. I also have found a lot of people having a similar issue on the internet but can not find a solution. Can anyone provide me with any help?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 5 not ringing
mezra38
Enthusiast - Level 1

i had same issue. and this fixed it. mine was on mute. who know that even was there.  this info was found on an earlier post.

·      1) if all of your internal settings are right (no settings for do not disturb, ringtones selected and turned on, etc) it might be a hard ware issue.

2) If you look at the left side of the iPhone 5, you will see an indentation with a thin switch, and the two round volume buttons. If that switch is pushed to the back of the phone, an orange line will appear. That puts your phone on silent. Flipped to the front of the phone, it just looks black, and the phone is not on silent. We just realized that this is what happened to ours; it must've gotten flipped while in pocket.

3) The kicker is that when the silent button is on, there is no indication on the screen. No icon with the little bell with a slash through it; nothing to tell you that the phone has actually been put on silent. Not the best innovation. You will see the little slashed bell pop up when you turn the phone onto silent, but then it disappears, giving no clue why your phone that can find answers to all questions in the googleverse won't ring when you get a call.

4)  if none of this helps, hit the mac genius bar. They can fix just about anything  

davisatlrc

As it said in my post the phone was 100% not on mute or "do not disturb"

0 Likes
Donna65

Thank you!  I've had nine calls over the last four days go to voice mail and assumed that I was away from my phone.  Not true it was on silent. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lets show that iPhone whos boss, davisatlrc! Are you able to make calls out successfully? Since we've determine the phone is not on silent or "Do not Disturb", we know it's either the network or the hardware. Do you have trouble receiving calls while in a particular location, like at the office, or home? Did you get a chance to visit an Apple store/Genius bar yet? Keep me posted!

Thanks,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
davisatlrc

No, I have not been to a Genius bar (the closest store is about an hour and a half away). I have no trouble making calls and this is only a random, not a constant problem. It does not seem to happen in any particular location more than others but it does seem to happen more when certain people are calling me. For example it happens when my wife (on the same plan with an iPhone 4) calls, but not to my knowledge my mother (different plan with a non-smart phone).

0 Likes
Thisismet
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay I figured this problem out in my case. On the side of the iphone 5 where you turn up the volume or lower it is a switch.If you see orange when it is down this means your phone is on silent. Conversely, if the switch is up and you see black then your phone is set to ring. I looked at my phone and the switch on the side was down so I saw orange and once i flipped it up to black the phone is now ringing Smiley Happy. I hope this helps.

ip5user

I think you're temporarily losing wireless signal and don't know it. I have problems in my house temporarily losing the data signal and usually don't know it.

0 Likes
Tee68

< Duplicate post deleted for cross posting violations per the . See https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/939427#939427 for the original message.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Thisismet
Enthusiast - Level 1

Tee68,Yes, I did find a fix for it. On the side of the phone by the two volume buttons is a switch that moves up and down. On my phone which is black if you move it and see red a bell will show with a line through it letting you know it's on silent. Conversely if you move the switch and see black you'll just see a bell which means the phone is now "audible". This did the trick for me and I hope it does for you.

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:18:46 -0700

To: >Email address deleted<

Subject: Re: iPhone 5 not ringing - Re: iPhone 5 not ringing

created by Tee68 in iPhone 5 - View the full discussion

Did you ever find a fix for this? I am having the same issue ... incoming calls sometimes go straight to voicemail and if the caller does not leave a message, I have no indication that I even missed a call. No rhyme nor reason to when or where it happens, and I suspect it's happening far more frequently than I know.  I never had this issue with the iPhone 4, so it could be an LTE issue, but I'm not sure how to determine whether I have a hardware problem versus a wireless signal problem.  Any advice on whether to visit Verizon versus the Apple Store? If I'm losing LTE coverage (I'm often on 1 or 2 bars), shouldn't 3G kick in? Arghhhhh this is a big and annoying problem!!!

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator