9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 11:30 AM by cyndimc RSS

How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?

Mattdim805

I have had Verizon Wireless service for about 5 years now. Over a year ago, I upgraded from a Droid to Droid Bionic (4G). Just about 10 days ago, my fiancee changed our plan to unlimited messaging and calling, and got the Jetpack, but with a 6 GB plan. Why was I not able to keep the grandfathered unlimited data plan for the Jetpack? I want to use it with Xbox Live (read it was possible on other forums), and am afraid to even try it with a limited data plan.

I still have a few days to revert back to my unlimited data plan. Would it be in my best interest to revert and choose the Hot Spot instead? And if so, would I be able to use the Hot Spot as my internet connection for Xbox Live? Is someone from Verizon able to advise on the best plan of action based on my unique needs?

Thanks, and I look forward to your response.

Best,

Matt

• 1. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?

I don't think 6 GB is going to be enough for XBOX Live. Especially if you want to download demos or DLC. Do you not have cable or DSL in your area?

• 2. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
            Mattdim805

I have 1.5 mbps download speeds with AT&T. I had 3 mbps, but apparently it was "too fast" for my dated apartment. I'm ready to renew my contract, but I'd rather go with the Jetpack as I reached 10 mbps download speeds.

• 3. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
              Mattdim805

<Duplicate post deleted for crossposting per the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

• 4. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
                Nyobie_B

From what I've read, if you change your mind, then getting back your Unlimited Data Plan might be EXTREMELY difficult.  VZ is trying to phase out the Unlimited Data Plans in favor of the Shared Plans.  I've not heard of an Unlimited Jetpack Plan.  That would be similar to allowing a phone to have an Unlimited Data Plan and VZ isn't offering those any more.  Only the Unlimited Plans that were issued previously can be kept.  (At least for now).  But technically speaking, once the 2 year contract expires on an Unlimited Data Plan, my understanding is that there's no longer a 'contract' in place so theoretically, VZ could terminate Unlimited Data Plans even for those who had previously been grandfathered.  It's unlikely they'd do so as long as the account the plan is on stays up to date since the termination would upset a revenue generating customer but this is all personal speculation on my part for what it's worth.  I'd definitely consider an Unlimited Jetpack Plan if there were such a thing so I've marked this thread to monitor what others have to offer in the way of useful info.

If your fiancee was told you could not keep your Unlimited Data Plan, that's 100% untrue.  You can buy a jetpack device outright and go month to month.  It's on Verizon's site but the cost to do so initially, is higher since you have to purchase a jetpack device at full retail price but it might still be worth it for you to avoid going over the data limit if you play XBox for hours at a time and you don't want to have to watch over your data usage on an hourly or daily basis.

Good luck & Happy New Year!

• 5. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
                  Ann154

The 4G LTE Jetpacks are only available on a tiered broadband data plan. None of the 4G LTE broadband devices have been allowed on the long since retired unlimited broadband data plan. It was announced as such at the end of 2010 when the first 4G LTE USB modems were introduced.

• 6. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
                    Mattdim805

Do you know if I would be able to use my Droid Bionic as a hot spot for Xbox live?

• 7. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
                      tikibar1

You can add mobile hotspot to your Bionic for $20 for 2 GB if on a tiered data plan.  The cost of mobile hotspot is included in the price of Share Everything plans, but it draws from your data allowance.

• 8. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
                        ProfessorGuy

My brother uses his XBox as his media gateway.  He uses about 300 GIGS PER MONTH!  With Verizon's current pricing (about $15/GB) that would come to about $9000.00 per month.

Good luck with that.

• 9. Re: How do I get the Jetpack with unlimited data plan?
                          cyndimc

Ann - this is the 2nd time I've seen you use the term "long since retired" it is NOT long since retired- it is recently being shoved down our throats- Perhaps as a company wide 'vision' it was long since retired, But when I got my modem in 2010 they weren't even offering 4G devices yet and my 3G modem stopped functioning normally (due to optimization) WAY before my contract was over and Verizon refuses to make it right by me. I would rather pay twice as much for another provider at this point than stick with verizon just on principle.