4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 7:24 AM by randiway1982 RSS

Network Extender with Hughesnet Gen4

EvergreenJeff

I recently changed out my wireless internet service with HughesNet Gen4 and increased my bandwidth quit a bit. 

I have had the network extender running on the wireless for a couple of years.  Then the wireless service went down and they wouldn't fix it so I had to come up with another solution... No, wired internet is not an option in my location. 

We installed the Gen 4, and it seemed that the network extender worked ok for the first few weeks... Then we started getting the choppy speech, and echo that are reported with voip over satellite... 

The service that we have with HughesNet has download speed of 10 Mbps and upload speed as 1 Mbps. I fear that that the inconsistent latency is the real issue... 

I contacted HughesNet and they said...  "ask about the required Upload and Download speeds to use their service with a satellite internet service provider. Please get back to us with the upload and download speed information so that we could provide you with plan that suits your requirements."

This should work, if we can make it the correct priority on my slice of the bandwidth...  I hope.

Help? 

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Network Extender with Hughesnet Gen4

Why are you posting here? sounds like you need to be posting on the Hughesnet forum.

• 2. Re: Network Extender with Hughesnet Gen4
            EvergreenJeff

I did post there, but they said that the needed to know the requirements of the network extender...

All I have found so far is a really old post that says that the network extender doesn't work over satellite.  I am wondering if it is possible to get it to run over the new, faster satellite.  So, I need to know what is the network extender needing so that we can configure my Hughesnet modem correctly.  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Network Extender with Hughesnet Gen4
              Verizon Wireless Customer Support

EvergreenJeff,

Never fear help is here! I know no-one wants choppy or echoing calls, so lets get this fixed asap! I have listed Internet requirements for the Network Extender below:

• Minimum connection speed of 1 Mbps (Megabits per second)
                • FIOS
                • DSL
                • Cable
                • Other broadband ISP (Internet Service Provider)
                • Satellite broadband, MiFi, EVDO not supported
                • One available Ethernet Port
                • A compatible broadband router with VPN support.
                • Although most routers support this functionality, refer to the router's product documentation to confirm compatibility.

Hope this helps!
              Thanks,
              Pamelaf_vzw

• 4. Re: Network Extender with Hughesnet Gen4
                randiway1982

We are currently going through this right now.  We installed DishNet (who purchased HughesNet) yesterday.  Got everything up and running for the internet.  Plugged in the network extender, all lights turned blue......GREAT!!!  Looked at our cell phones.....had amazing service.......GREAT!! Went to make a phone call and the person we were trying to call could NOT hear us as we were all broken up; said we sounded like a robot.  We could hear them pretty good though.

So now we are trying to get out of our contract with DishNet as VERIZON TOLD US THE NETWORK EXTENDER WOULD WORK....which is why we went with DishNet.  Hans Cederdale is saying it is Verizon's fault for telling us it would work, when it actually won't.  I called Verizon today, again, and spoke with 2 different people.....both told me it would work.  I have a chat transcript from the one conversation. 

Going to try one more time today to see if I can get it to work properly.  Don't know who I should be more mad at:  Verizon or Hans Cedardale/Dish!! :

Also, I spent 4 HOURS on the phone with Verizon technical support and they ended the conversation with.....I don't think this is going to work!!  ***!!!