1 2 3 Previous Next 112 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2014 11:06 AM by TyroneGreen RSS

Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)

retucker

Recently upgraded my internet service to a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot (Verizon-890L-50DB).  First month - no problems - second month - I have 6GB of overage charges.  Every time I log in to check email or any other minimal data usage task, I get hit with another GB or more of download usage.  My computer is an HP Pavilion Laptop, Windows 7 with NETWORX installed.  Networx tells me it is indeed MY computer that is downloading this data and my hard drive is also showing the increases in data.  

I've run AVG, Glary Utilities, Speedy PC PRO and Spybot Search and Destroy but found no virus, rootkit or anything on my computer that would explain this problem. 

When I use a different wireless internet service, I do NOT see the extraneous data usage.

I contacted Verizon's support team and got no help diagnosing the problem but they did agree to send a replacement for my hotspot device.  Hopefully this fixes the issue; then I have to battle with them about the unwarranted $60 or more in overage charges.

Has anyone else experienced a problem similar to this?

• 1. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)

If Networx is showing the download usage then it's not a Verizon problem. If Networx and Verizon meters were showing different results then you might have something. Since you say you don't have this problem with other services I suspect you do not have your mi-fi secured. So it's possible someone is using your connection.

• 2. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
            retucker

Networx reports data usage only on the machine on which it is installed.  There is no one else using my router.

At any rate, it does seem as if the problem is with my machine.  I’ve just located a Trojan which may have been causing the issue.  Will know soon if the problem is resolved.

Thanks for the response.  Hopefully, I have this thing resolved.

Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2012 1:27 PM

To: retucker

Subject: - Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)

Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)

created by Brian68 in Additional Devices & Products - View the full discussion

• 3. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
              distraught

Yes I'm experiencing the very same problem. I purchased a jet pack the week of October 19 and within 1 1/2 weeks I had exceeded my usage.  I don't stream movies or down load movies and music.  Based on this info the store rep aassured me that my plan had sufficient gigs for web surfacing however, within 2 weeks of my purchase my bill was $200 more than usual due to overage charges and additional fees that I wasn't told about.  With resistance I went ahead and paid the bill based on the rep saying my bill would be at least $150 less because there would be no start up fees attached and discouraged any video viewing sites.  Today ( 8 days into my new billing cycle) I logged into my account and realize that  I'm again encountering over usage warnings. The only solution offered was to pay an additional $10 for more gigs. I feel like the store representatives uses deceitful sales practices in order to get sales.  I've spoke to numerous representatives who can provide me with no clear solution.  What has been repeated is that I'm locked into a 2 year contract and I can't cancel this service.  I'm currently waiting on a call from another representative because I refuse to accept that nothing can be done to resolve this issue.  I sympathize with your situation. Today it seems that my option is to pay for a service and don't use it  or else prepare to pay costly penalties.

• 4. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
                retucker

Found my problem!

After running six or seven virus scan programs including two that were purchased and several freeware programs, I decided to give Norton a shot.  Had stayed away from them for years due to performance issues.  They were offering a 30 days free trial for Norton Internet Security.  Downloaded and installed and the first scan found five Trojans which were not detected by the other programs.  Fixed them and have had no further problems with extraneous data usage.  Guess now I’ll have to pay them for a year’s service.

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 7:48 PM

To: retucker

Subject: - Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)

created by distraught in Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L - View the full discussion

• 5. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
                  RLWard

Have you tried the email setup to get JUST headers? That cuts the data to almost nothing. Then you just open the email you want instead of opening every one including Junk.  Also I have found that the auto BACKUP that come with some systems & programs will eat you alive with data usage.

• 6. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
                    OhMyJo

I have not gotten hit with the huge overage charges, but I have noticed that my usage the first month was awesome. I didn't even use 50% of my data. Then the second, third, and fourth months came. I am now on my second day of the month and have "used" over 50% of my data. YEA ******* RIGHT Verizon! How in the universe does that happen? They are ******* scam artists and they ******* steal from their customers I am so ******* off.

Sorry for going on a tangent, but I think that they are doing something similar to you. Month one is great and then the beast comes after that.

<< Edited for profanity >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

• 7. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
                      louisbry

This does not explain why the data is showing up on retucker's harddrive.

• 8. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
                        Lyda1

Exactly the same thing has happened to me.  I purchased the Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L two days ago.  After one day, I had supposedly used half the 5GB monthly allowance.  After two days, I am at 4.25 GB usage.  I don't stream movies, I have the hotspot password protected, I live alone, and no one else uses my computer.  I have not downloaded any large files.  At this rate, I'll go broke soon.

• 9. Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)
                          louisbry

I would recomend getting out of the contract before the 14 day trial period ends.   Verizon will charge you an activation fee, restocking fee and one months service, but that is better than being stuck with this mess.  I have homefusion and am afraid to use since verizon seems to fabricate data usage.  Unfortunately I did not realize this untill after the 14 day trial.  Now is will cost me $350 to terminate my contract.

Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:21:48 -0700

To: <Email address removed for privacy.>

Subject: Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB) - Re: Huge data usage with Verison 4G LTE hotspot ( Verizon-890L-50DB)

created by Lyda1 in Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L - View the full discussion

Exactly the same thing has happened to me.  I purchased the Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L two days ago.  After one day, I had supposedly used half the 5GB monthly allowance.  After two days, I am at 4.25 GB usage.  I don't stream movies, I have the hotspot password protected, I live alone, and no one else uses my computer.  I have not downloaded any large files.  At this rate, I'll go broke soon.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community

Start a new discussion in Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

© 2011 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless | One Verizon Way | Mail Code: 180WVB | Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

We respect your privacy.  Please review our privacy policy for more information.

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

1 2 3 Previous Next