1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 7:33 PM by atxboise RSS

Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error

atxboise

I am getting an error when i try to do a manual OTA update. 

Service unavailable

To check for a system updates, go to Settings > About device when service is available.

Any help on this?

• 1. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
          maya0630

I am getting the same error message. But I am currently updating my husband's so I thought maybe it was related to that and that I could not update both at the same time.

• 2. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
            RenD

Getting the same error on my wife's phone. I've rebooted multiple times, rebooted to the recovery screen and wiped the cache, etc. Basically I've done everything I can think of short of a factory reset. Anyone else having this issue and/or have a solution?

*edit - I have now also factory reset the phone, which also did not solve the issue.

• 3. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
              maya0630

I rebooted my phone and was able to run the update fine after that.

• 4. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
                demmo86rt

As maya0630 suggested, try rebooting the phone, if that doesn't work, you may just have to wait. Updates are rolled out in stage and may not be available for you yet.

• 5. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
                  atxboise

Sounds like you are unsure... I'll keep looking for someone who knows for sure. Thanks tho.

• 6. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
                    Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Thanks so much for inquiring about the update on the Galaxy S3! I would be happy to clear up any confusion on updates.
                    Please let me know if you have not received the update at this point (it should be available at this point).

Once new software is available for a device, customers do not receive the software update all at once. Delivery of a push to the handset can take up to 3-4 weeks. You can also pull the software update to your device (manually initiate the download) 10 days after the software's effective date.

Thanks for your time!

Tamara H.
                    Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

• 7. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
                      atxboise

I am still getting the same error when i try to do a manual update.  I'd be

grateful for any help.

<< Personal information removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

Please remove signature information from your post when replying via email.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

• 8. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
                        RenD

Go to your local Verizon store and report this.

I made two trips. On the first we were told the update would be OTA, and that the manual update would not work until my wife received an email notification that it was available. I knew this to be untrue because I had already manually updated my phone, and I never received an email (I still haven't). If she did not receive the update within 10 days of the email we were to go back to the store.  She received the email a couple of days later, and after 12 days there was no automatic update, and several manual attempts to update resulted in the same error, so we went back to the store.

On the second trip the salesperson at the store spoke with support and explained the whole situation, at which time they decided to send my wife a new phone. The new phone arrived 2 days later, and she switched her SIM over and received the update immediately. There was never an indication from support as to what the problem was, but the new phone seems to have resolved it.

I came to the forum for answers and got none. I clearly stated that I had already rebooted the phone several times to no avail, as well as having done a factory data reset. And yet, people posted that we should reboot our phones because they failed to read and comprehend. A forum is a place for discussion and (hopefully) answers, but that becomes all but impossible when people respond with ignorant replies that tell you to do what you've already done. Just an FYI, if you are one of these guilty parties, you're defeating the purpose of this forum and making the lives of others harder.

• 9. Re: Galaxy S3 OTA manual update error
                          atxboise

Well stated!  I have had more than my share of misinformation from this

forum, even to the point of loosing valuable data. (my fault for backing up

to the SD card, not knowing that a factory reset wipes that data)  I will

call verizon support and see if they have changed their tune now that the

ota roll out is complete.

<< Personal information removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

Please remove signature information from your post when replying via email.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

1 2 Previous Next