HTC DNA WiFi disconnects (constantly)
DavidHeart

[ See TESTING below]

This is a bit of a letdown. My new DNA will not maintain a solid WiFi connection. When using a streaming app like Radio Paradise, Ookla Speed Test or Xtralogic Remote Desktop Client, I can watch the notifications bounce from WiFi to 4G and back. Often. And of course the apps break. If I disable WiFi and let the apps run exclusively in 4G, there's no problem.

My current home WiFi setup has been stable for months, consisting of a Linksys WRT54G router (wireless disabled) with the latest Tomato firmware, and a Ubiquiti Unifi access point. My just upgraded Incredible 2 never had connectivity issues with this, as don't my laptops and other WiFi enabled devices.

I guess I'll check to see if the problem exists in other WiFi environments.

Is it just mine or are other folks finding similar problems?

Message was edited by: David <Personal information removed for privacy>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

===========================================================

I will update this post as time, resources and wife permit.

(As an IT guy I have access to random gear which will be useful in this discussion.)

--- TESTING AND RESULTS ---

I define success if the following scenario runs flawlessly for more than 30 minutes:

• DNA and Laptop (Win7x32) are attached to the same wireless network.
  • Both DNA and Laptop are connected to their power chargers and are in "never sleep" state.
  • Laptop runs inSSIDer while DNA runs Xtralogic Remote Desktop Client session into Laptop.

I chose this scenario because RDC is notoriously sensitive to network hiccups.

Only the 2.4GHz channel will be tested.

Other than DNA , WAP and Laptop, no other wireless device is active (confirmed by inSSIDer).

Tests are performed in an isolated environment (home/office is within heavily wooded acreage).

TEST 1 = BASELINE = KNOWN WORKING GOOD

Router: Netgear WNR3500L with firmware V1.2.2.44_35.0.53NA

WAP: (integrated)

Security: WPA2-PSK [AES]; Channel: Auto; Mode: 300Mbps

Result: Success.

TEST ...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC DNA WiFi disconnects (constantly)
Adel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi David,

I confirm that I had the same problem with HTC Droid DNA on Linksys E3200. The DNA would lost connection to wifi and then it would try to reconnect. Which would cause many problems in streaming and video apps. My link speed is 40Mbps, and I have WPA/WPA2 PSK enabled. The DNA's performance on 4G is rock-solid and I've no connectivity problems. These symptoms only occurs on wifi networks.

Try these and let me know if they were helpful:

• Tuning wifi settings
    • in settings -> wifi -> menu -> Advanced
    • Check Best wifi performance
    • Select wi-fi frequency band and check either 5G or 2.5GHz bands.
  • Changing IP options from DHCP to static
    • in settings -> wifi
    • select your wifi network and keep pushing. it should bring up the menu ( forget network/ modify network)
    • select modify network
    • Check "Show advanced options"
    • change "IP settings" from DHCP to Static
    • Choose your IP address and other options such that there is no collision with other devices in your wifi network
    • Just for the reference, these are my values:
      • IP address: 192.168.1.125
      • Gateway: 192.168.1.1
      • Network prefix length: 24
      • DNS 1: 75.75.75.75
      • DNS 2: 75.75.76.76
fidlerja

I'm having the same problem with mine! Did these fixes help?

I wonder if it's the same problem they had with the One X earlier this year:

http://androidcommunity.com/htc-one-x-wi-fi-problems-confirmed-as-hardware-issue-says-htc-20120618/

0 Likes
DavidHeart

Thank you Adel, but enforcing quality, channel and static settings made no change.

0 Likes
DavidHeart

fidlerja:

Here's the good news ... the problem is not with the DNA. I just changed out my router/wireless setup for a single Netgear WNR3500L. Now the DNA WiFi connection is rock solid! That means it's a network protocol issue.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's a TKIP vs AES issue (AES being the solution).

When I have time this evening, I'll go back to the original setup to compare and test.

More later ...

0 Likes
fidlerja

Thanks David! That gives me hope. Looking forward to hearing the results.

0 Likes
morecaffeine

My wireless setup is already on AES and this is happening not only on the DNA but also a brand new One X+. After reviewing/Googling further this seems to be an issue that previously plagued the One X series before and HTC had to issue a fix. Exactly what that consisted of I don't know, but this is annoying for a new device to have such issues.

0 Likes
techfanatic
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks fidlerja for including me in this thread. Been having same issue. The drop is intermittent in my case. Sometimes it shows as connected and will not detect the internet and will just stall. Kind of a pain to keep toggling the Wifi switch to get it to work everytime.

I have a new Cisco EA4500 router and have an ipad2, ipod, samsung galaxy 3, xbox, blue ray player, Windows 7 PC & a Nexus 7 tablet connected to it and it does not drop for any others - so don't think it's a router issue (unless it's a specific setting the DNA is looking for on the router - which would be odd in my opinion).

0 Likes
techfanatic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried this on a hotel WiFi network and still getting same issue. Definitely not a router issue. Setting to static IP didn't help either.

0 Likes
DavidHeart

[ moved this testing post to the original post on top ]

0 Likes