data limit
tux
Enthusiast - Level 1

I set a limit on my data usage so I do not go over my limit, according to using the limit it is suspossed to put a stop on any incoming data.  It sent me text messages to tell me I am getting close to my full GB and it has gone over the limit I set.  So now I will have to pay extra for something the phone should of stopped.  Any one have any ideas besides upgrading GB.

Labels (2)
Re: data limit
rcschnoor
Legend

Verizon offers "alerts", not limits. Your phone will not stop using data when you reach the alert point and Verizon does not offer a service of the type you are describing.

The only idea I have, other than increasing your data allowance would be to turn off cellular data on your phone if you don't want to use data after a certain point.

Not applicable

I'm pretty sure with ICS you can have your phone set to shut of mobile data at a certain limit.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

yep, and there are apps in the Play Store that will do that as well

BridgetteLOL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apps that a kid can't hack?

0 Likes
BridgetteLOL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on Verizon services (not software for phones like apps or security functions on a particular phone) I actually went so far as to do a test run on their Parental Controls and Usage Plans and they do NOT offer a data usage stop -- it is an alert only.  I was on the phone with customer service while I flew past the usage cap we set and the customer service rep, while very nice, was sad that his understanding of the usage cap was wrong.

If I am going to get smart phones for my kids, I will have to change providers because I won't risk that $1000 bill coming in when the kids go over the data usage. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

BridgetteLOL wrote:

Apps that a kid can't hack?

If your kids are by passing the limits you set then you have bigger problems than a data limit. If my kid "hacked" a data limit  then I would take his phone away.

HawaiiBKC
Contributor - Level 1

I'm sure if you can hit $1000 bill with overages from data, I'm sure your kids are doing more than just web page browsing if you know what i mean lel.

Changing providers may just bring you less coverage, but that of course if your choice.

0 Likes
Not applicable

BridgetteLOL wrote:

Based on Verizon services (not software for phones like apps or security functions on a particular phone) I actually went so far as to do a test run on their Parental Controls and Usage Plans and they do NOT offer a data usage stop -- it is an alert only.  I was on the phone with customer service while I flew past the usage cap we set and the customer service rep, while very nice, was sad that his understanding of the usage cap was wrong.

If I am going to get smart phones for my kids, I will have to change providers because I won't risk that $1000 bill coming in when the kids go over the data usage. 

You are wrong

Can I set an limit for data usage (MB) with Usage Controls?

Yes, Usage Controls does allow you to set a data usage limit in megabytes (MB) for data charges, such as browsing the web or downloading content (e.g., songs, games and ringtones). The controlled line will receive a free text alert when it reaches 50%, 75% and 90% of the device's data limit. The Account Owner and the controlled line will receive a free text alert when 100% of the data limit has been reached. Once the limit is reached, the Account Owner can choose whether to restrict additional data usage (optional setting) or to allow additional data usage (default setting):

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

Brian68, is there a setting on the Samsun Galaxy Note 2 where I can turn off the data usage AT WILL and ONLY use my local wi-fi?

0 Likes