1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 5:46 AM by rcschnoor RSS

Family Plan to Individual Plan?

Pavilion

We have a family plan with 4 lines (700 minutes).

Primary line: Smart Phone with Unlimited Data; Under contract until Dec 2013

Other 3 lines: Basic Phones with No Data Allowance; Out of contract; Month-by-month

The questions are: if I port all other 3 lines to another carrier,

1. Will Verizon put my primary line on individual plan and let me keep the unlimited data?

2. If so, what is the pricing scheme for individual plan?

3. Am I right that the primary line contract date would still be Dec 2013 and I wouldn't incur any ETF for porting (since those 3 lines are out of contract)?

There isn't much information on Verizon website. So, does anyone have similar experience?

• 1. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?
          SuzyQ

Is the account owner the one with the smartphone, unlimited data, primary line?  (It sounds like YOU are the account owner and YOU have the smartphone).  If so, then you MAY be able to keep your unlimited data when the other lines port out and you convert to an individual plan.  The reason you don't see the info on the website is because those plans are not offered any longer, and that's why I said you MAY be able to keep your plan - since you are, effectively, starting a new plan (individual rather than family share) you MAY have to choose from one currently offered - an individual plan with a "bucket of minutes" and unlimited data has been discontinued, and unlimited minutes and texting with a "bucket of data" has taken it's place.

If you are NOT the account owner, you most likely will not keep the unlimited data since you will be starting a new plan in your name.

And it's also dependent on the store where you try to make the transaction, that particular store's policies, and understanding of the new plans and rules.  It's hard to give you a definitive answer because we are finding that stores, managers, regions, affiliates, authorized resellers, all have their own interpretations and policies and rules - that's what makes this all so confusing and uncertain.

• 2. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?
            Pavilion

SuzyQ wrote:

Is the account owner the one with the smartphone, unlimited data, primary line?  (It sounds like YOU are the account owner and YOU have the smartphone).  If so, then you MAY be able to keep your unlimited data when the other lines port out and you convert to an individual plan.  The reason you don't see the info on the website is because those plans are not offered any longer, and that's why I said you MAY be able to keep your plan - since you are, effectively, starting a new plan (individual rather than family share) you MAY have to choose from one currently offered - an individual plan with a "bucket of minutes" and unlimited data has been discontinued, and unlimited minutes and texting with a "bucket of data" has taken it's place.

If you are NOT the account owner, you most likely will not keep the unlimited data since you will be starting a new plan in your name.

And it's also dependent on the store where you try to make the transaction, that particular store's policies, and understanding of the new plans and rules.  It's hard to give you a definitive answer because we are finding that stores, managers, regions, affiliates, authorized resellers, all have their own interpretations and policies and rules - that's what makes this all so confusing and uncertain.

I am the account owner and I am the one with the smartphone. I guess the worst case scenario would be keeping an extra basic phone # open to keep my unlimited data...

I will most likely deal with this over the phone, rather than in person. They really need a corporate policy on how to act on this...

• 3. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?
              Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Hi Pavilion,

I'm sorry to see that you are considering porting out 3 of your lines. Are you having service issues? You are a valued customer and I'd love to address any service concerns that are prompting you to port out those lines. How much data do you use with your Smartphone? Do you really need unlimited data? Statistics show that most people use less than 2GB of data per month. Have you done an account analysis http://is.gd/AcctAnalysis to determine your monthly usage and needs? We offer several data options with our Share Everything plans http://goo.gl/bhqDn and one may just fit your needs perfectly. You already have our superior network http://goo.gl/WzJ8G and http://goo.gl/64fHd unmatched coverage. Please consider these benefits before you port out any one of your lines. If you still decide to port some lines out please call our customer service departement at 800-922-0204 to explore options for your Smartphone line. Have a lovely day!

AntonioC_VZWSupport
              Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

• 4. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Hi Pavilion,

I'm sorry to see that you are considering porting out 3 of your lines. Are you having service issues? You are a valued customer and I'd love to address any service concerns that are prompting you to port out those lines. How much data do you use with your Smartphone? Do you really need unlimited data? Statistics show that most people use less than 2GB of data per month.

A) Doesn't matter how much data he uses. While I think Verizon needs to get everyone on the same page when it comes to data, if he's entitled to keeps his unlimited data until at least Dec 2013 then it doesn't matter if he uses 1 GB or 21 GBs.

B) Most everyone uses less than 2 GB? Well let's see if you go over 2 GB you get charged $10 per GB so yeah that kind of makes sense. I suspect if the $30 plan had a 20 GB cap instead of 2 GB within 6 months you'd see the average use be MUCH higher than it is now.

• 5. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?
                  rcschnoor

Brian68 wrote:

B) Most everyone uses less than 2 GB? Well let's see if you go over 2 GB you get charged $10 per GB so yeah that kind of makes sense. I suspect if the $30 plan had a 20 GB cap instead of 2 GB within 6 months you'd see the average use be MUCH higher than it is now.

I don't see why that would be. When Verizon had unlimited plans, 95% of users used less than 2GB of data and they didn't have to worry about going over 2GB and paying and extra $10/GB. Why would they not go over 2GB with unlimited but be more likely to go over 2GB with a 20GB cap? Doesn't make sense.

• 6. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?

rcschnoor wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

I don't see why that would be. When Verizon had unlimited plans, 95% of users used less than 2GB of data and they didn't have to worry about going over 2GB and paying and extra $10/GB. Why would they not go over 2GB with unlimited but be more likely to go over 2GB with a 20GB cap? Doesn't make sense.

Verizon last offered unlimited to new customers or current customers that didn't have a data package yet in July 2011. Now stats have shown data to increase over 40% yearly. This has been pretty consistent. So yes unlimited data users used less in July 2011. The fact is smartphones are getting more advanced and do more things and with 4G you can use more data faster. Really how many people watched Netflix on a smartphone with a 3.2 inch screen, under 1 GHz single core CPU with 512 MB RAM over 3G? Why bother.

Also I might want to add how many people offload to wi-fi out of fear of going over? So if the cap was higher and people used wi-fi less logic dictate mobile data usage would be higher.

• 7. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?
                      rcschnoor

I think you are overestimating how many people want to watch Netflix on such a small screen anyway.

I also don't think wi-fi usage is going to necessarily drop. I know plenty of people using wi-fi who have unlimited data AND 4G phones. What fear do THEY have of going over? What logic would have THEM increase their mobile data usage? Wi-fi has less battery drain on a phone than 4G. Even with higher caps, there would still be caps and if you normally stream video, you would still be in danger of going over that cap(whatever it is), so why drop wi-fi?

It doesn't take any extra work to use wi-fi. Once it is set up(all of the 5seconds it takes to do so), it is automatic. It is more work to turn it off than to just use it. I don't think people are going to think "hey I'm not going to use wi-fi since I can just use cellular".

• 8. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?
                        Pavilion

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Hi Pavilion,

I'm sorry to see that you are considering porting out 3 of your lines. Are you having service issues? You are a valued customer and I'd love to address any service concerns that are prompting you to port out those lines. How much data do you use with your Smartphone? Do you really need unlimited data? Statistics show that most people use less than 2GB of data per month. Have you done an account analysis http://is.gd/AcctAnalysis to determine your monthly usage and needs? We offer several data options with our Share Everything plans http://goo.gl/bhqDn and one may just fit your needs perfectly. You already have our superior network http://goo.gl/WzJ8G and http://goo.gl/64fHd unmatched coverage. Please consider these benefits before you port out any one of your lines. If you still decide to port some lines out please call our customer service departement at 800-922-0204 to explore options for your Smartphone line. Have a lovely day!

AntonioC_VZWSupport
                        Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

Antonio,

Thanks for the follow up. I travel for business five days a week, and rely heavily on my smartphone when I am out of town. Over the past 6 months, I have been averaging ~10 GB of data per month. I am not average user and I understand what I need.

I understand that in the current market status there is no one matching VZW's coverage, but I can't predict what gonna happen in the future (that's why I want to stay on your unlimited till my contract ends, and re-evaluate what I need at that time). VZW LTE is fast, but AT&T LTE and Sprint LTE are just as fast as yours. And in the area with no LTE coverage, AT&T HSPA+ still beats VZW 3G and Sprint 3G hands down.

I am just a guy trying to save my $. I don't need the unlimited minutes/texts; I need the data. I believe Verizon knows that (let's be honest, all the carriers know that), and that's why we have Share Everything now. Share Everything just isn't economical for heavy users; and I don't need to share my wallet with Verizon too (sorry, have to make a joke here. lol).

Anyways, thanks for the comments. I will definitely give that 800# a call.

-Pavilion

• 9. Re: Family Plan to Individual Plan?
                          Pavilion

rcschnoor wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

Simple. LTE is faster and consumers are more likely to consume more data.

BTW, do you eat more food at a all-you-can-eat place (aka buffet) or a place that charges per item? Replace "eat" with "use", replace "food" with "data"; you get an answer.

1 2 Previous Next