1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2012 7:25 AM by unclejames1 RSS

SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III

rosie232

I've always been a heavy user of SWIPE on my old phone (Droid 2). I'm finding it practically impossible to use on my new Samsung Galaxy S III. Very poor recognition of the keys I'm actually touching, predictive text default suggestions are totally off base - not even close to what I was trying to SWIPE! Starting letters of predictive text words don't even match the first letter I SWIPED (or any of the surrounding letters on the keyboard - so I didn't accidently hit the incorrect letter). Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I have no idea how to resolve...it takes me 5 times longer to SWIPE a message than it did on my old phone - I have to go back and correct every other word.

If I turn off predictive text, I can't use SWIPE. Very frustrating and tremendously disappointing, since SWIPE capability was one of the decision factors when choosing a new phone.

• 1. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
          breezex

I think what you are missing is Swype.  I've installed Swype on the GS3 and it works perfectly.  Go to: http://beta.swype.com/   and join the beta program.  They will send you a link to the app and it's easy sailing from there.  Don't be scared off by the beta moniker, it's a polished product.

• 2. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
            rosie232

SWYPE functionality (sorry - I was spelling it wrong) was already installed on my phone - I just had to turn it on - or so i thought. It was allowing me to swype, just not translating very well. When I went back to the Verizon dealer, he showed me how to turn off the predictive text, but that also turned off swype capability). But, I'll check out the website you provided and see if it makes a difference. THANKS!

• 3. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
              Wildman

Swype does not come on the device as a default app, there is a Samsung keyboard that has a T9 Trace feature but this isn't the original swype keyboard you are use to.

Go to the site Breezex supplied and install it will get you the one you want...   Not all swype keyboards are equal just because it has the same name.

2012-11-03 14.12.20.png  2012-11-03 14.17.05.png

• 4. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
                rosie232

Thanks for your clarification! I was definitely using the T9 Trace functionality - this is what the Verizon sales person told me/implied was SWYPE on my new phone - so much for their knowledge! I went to the Breezex website about 6 hours ago and registered from my smartphone - they're supposed to send me a link via email, but I've not received it yet. Still waiting....and there is no support contact at that site to inquire with regarding whether my registration went through okay (it gave me a message that my registration was recieved). I guess I can go back and try registering again and use a different email address if necessary.

• 5. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
                  rosie232

Just went back to the Breezex website and registered again using the same login information - it allowed me to re-register, gave me the same message. But - if I try to log in at their website, I'm told "your email address and password is either incorrect or not in our system". Since I entered the same email address and password twice, I know that is correct, so....I'm still not in their system. Guess I may have to wait until Monday (maybe they don't have an automated registration process) and no one is working over the weekend? Or, maybe they were in the hurricane Sandy zone and systems are not yet up and running....

• 6. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
                    rosie232

Finally got the email from Breezex - must have been a glitch my first try. Installed the app - seems to working great! The only negative - no options on the new keyboard to send little heart icons in my messages - silly little thing, but I miss that option. Is it hidden somewhere that I haven't found yet?

• 7. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
                      rosie232

By the way - THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU FOR POINTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!! This makes a HUGE difference!

• 8. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
                        Wildman

Glad to help... don't use swype myself maybe Breeze can let you know about emotions.. 

I use Smart Keyboard and it has a button for those.

• 9. Re: SWIPE & Predictive Text on Samsung Galaxy S III
                          Tidbits

Honestly...  The new 4.2 keyboard from Android is a coding marvel.  It works better than swype.  It is more accurate, and it actually shows the word in real time while you are swiping if you choose to.  When 4.2 comes out it will replace all my keyboard replacements.

1 2 Previous Next