5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2012 6:59 PM by goldenglove_25 RSS

Getting out of my contract early?

hdfox

I have 55 days (or so) left on my contract, does anybody know if I can "buy" the rest of the contract to get out sooner?

I do not have a smart phone, (LG env touch) and I paid for it years ago. Reason for early buy out/termination is because of a deal coming up on Black Friday (not offered through Verizon).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

• 1. Re: Getting out of my contract early?
          Spiral

Early termination fee for non-smartphones is $175 minus $5 per month of contract completed.  If you have completed 22 months (with only 55 days left) then it would be $175 - $110 = $65 for your ETF.  You should call customer service to verify this amount.  Of course any and all current monthly plan charges would be due also.

Good luck.

• 2. Re: Getting out of my contract early?
            SuzyQ

hdfox wrote:

Reason for early buy out/termination is because of a deal coming up on Black Friday (not offered through Verizon).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

If you terminate your contract early, you cannot come back as a "new" customer for 60 days (I think, it may be 90 days).  If you try, your old contract will be reinstated.

I also don't understand how you can still have nearly 2 months left on a contract if your EnvTouch was purchased "years ago" - unless you let someone use your upgrade in the interim, in which case you agreed to extend your term.

In any case, you can't "buy out" (ETF) your contract and then turn around and start a new one without waiting either 60 or 90 days.....

• 3. Re: Getting out of my contract early?
              Spiral

SuzyQ , the new offer the OP wants is "not offered through Verizon".  I took that to indicate they were going to another carrier, otherwise it would be a simple upgrade.

• 4. Re: Getting out of my contract early?
                SuzyQ

Ahh - good point.  If that's the case, and the OP wants to keep the same number, be advised he/she should NOT terminate with Verizon, but start the account with the new carrier, port the number, and THAT will terminate the contract with Verizon and generate the ETF automatically.

If you quit your Verizon contract, your number is gone, and you would need to get anew number with the new carrier.  If you let the new carrier perform the port, you can keep your number with your new service.

• 5. Re: Getting out of my contract early?
                  goldenglove_25

im just curious is the phone u want for verizon service? if so u can buy the phone u want, and put service on that phone...that would eliminate u having to pay the early activation fee.