1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 7:59 AM by GT500Grad RSS

    Early termination fee

    aztheroth

      Hi. I'm 6 months away from my current contract and I'm planning to cancel my 2 lines. The thing is that I have unlimited data plan and the only way to keep it after contract expires would be buying new phones at regular prices, which I'm not planning to do and not going to renew contract with a limited data. So I want to switch to a different company that offers unlimited data and has a great offer for Black Friday.

       

      So the question is... can someone tell me how much would be the early cancellation fee for each line?

       

      thanks!

        • 1. Re: Early termination fee
          mrpearsoy

          Yep! Call customer service. *611 from handset or 8009220204. By the way, no carrier offers "true" unlimited. Read the fine print.

          • 2. Re: Early termination fee
            Tidbits

            $180 for the termination fee.  Remember each line has their own contract.  The other line I do not know if it's smartphone or a basic phone.

             

            For that line I don't know about if it has the same time away

            $180 for smart phone

            $85 for basic phone

             

            It's

            smartphone

            $350 - $10(off per month after the first)

            basicphone

            $175 - $5(off per month after the first)

            • 3. Re: Early termination fee

              Yep only 2 of the big 4 companies offer "unlimited" data which really isn't unlimited because you get throttled. Also one doesn't have ANY 4G and the other has barely any $G and charges $10 a month extra for 4G data. And both have cruddy coverage no matter what the G.

              • 4. Re: Early termination fee
                aztheroth

                Thanks for the information guys. I do understand that Verizon has the largest 4G LTE network... I'm supposed to have 4G LTE on Iowa City but data constantly drops... it's blazing fast (when it works) but with so many constant drops maybe a 3G network on other carrier may work better. Also, as I said, to get a new phone at special price I have to get a new plan since they will not allow me to keep the unlimited one I have right now. And lets say I decide to buy the phones at regular prices, that would be over $1,000 for my 2 lines... nothing guarantee me that after my contract is done they will not force me to get a tied up data plan.

                 

                Another down that Verizon has is that, at least for me, all my family and friends are from Puerto Rico. Verizon's family and friends doesn't cover phone numbers from Puerto Rico, even when it's a US territory, while other carriers does have unlimited any mobile, including Puerto Rico.

                 

                Defintely I'm leaving.

                 

                Once again, thanks for the information. I verified and and it's going to cost me $180 for each line...

                • 5. Re: Early termination fee

                  aztheroth wrote:

                   

                  Thanks for the information guys. I do understand that Verizon has the largest 4G LTE network... I'm supposed to have 4G LTE on Iowa City but data constantly drops... it's blazing fast (when it works) but with so many constant drops maybe a 3G network on other carrier may work better.

                  You do realize that Verizon has not stopped it's 4G deployment.

                  • 6. Re: Early termination fee

                    aztheroth wrote:

                     

                    Another down that Verizon has is that, at least for me, all my family and friends are from Puerto Rico. Verizon's family and friends doesn't cover phone numbers from Puerto Rico, even when it's a US territory, while other carriers does have unlimited any mobile, including Puerto Rico.

                     

                    Defintely I'm leaving.

                     

                    .

                    On Share Everything you get UNLIMITED minutes to ANY number.

                    • 7. Re: Early termination fee
                      tikibar1

                      Brian68 wrote:

                       

                      aztheroth wrote:

                       

                      Another down that Verizon has is that, at least for me, all my family and friends are from Puerto Rico. Verizon's family and friends doesn't cover phone numbers from Puerto Rico, even when it's a US territory, while other carriers does have unlimited any mobile, including Puerto Rico.

                       

                      Defintely I'm leaving.

                       

                      .

                      On Share Everything you get UNLIMITED minutes to ANY number.

                      That's true, but it doesn't cover Puerto Rico.  As the poster stated, other carriers include Puerto Rico, but Verizon charges international long distance rates and airtime charges when calling Puerto Rico.

                      • 8. Re: Early termination fee
                        mls1

                        This was my experience. I am sending this via snail mail today.

                         

                        I have been a loyal Verizon customer for 12 years. We started in Rhode Island, and when we moved to Pennsylvania in 2005, we stayed with the company. We started with basic cell phones and basic plans and kept upgrading and adding lines as our family grew. Eventually we had a landline, fax line, five cell phones, Internet and TV. As far as I remember, we have always paid our bill on time and have upgraded our phones numerous times. Verizon has made out quite well with us.

                         

                        When it came time to upgrade my phone this year, I started shopping around for no-contract plans. I started with Verizon, going to two separate Verizon stores and talking with friendly salespeople who told me they did not have anything like that. I finally decided to go with another company. I assumed that if I paid the early cancellation fees, we could keep the phones and transfer them to a new company. It turns out, apparently, that all Verizon phones are hardwired to work only with Verizon. I politely and respectfully asked if Verizon would be willing to forgo the early cancellation fees in light of our excellent, long track record as customers. The service rep who contacted me told me (inaccurately) that we had only been with Verizon seven years and they were unable to remove the early cancellation fees.

                         

                        Buying all new phones and paying the early cancellation fees has cost us around $1150 – but it’s worth it to be out of Verizon. I switched to a no contract company that uses the AT&T network. With Verizon, I had an 18% discount because of my employer, which I don’t have with my new company. Even so, my monthly bill just for cell service, even after adding an additional line, is 50% less than with Verizon.

                         

                        The same rep who got my length of service with Verizon wrong, and who told me that Verizon could not forgo the early cancellation fees, then had the audacity to express hopes that I would return to Verizon. After my long tenure with Verizon, I am cutting all ties. Why I would ever want to be back with the company? Verizon missed an opportunity to create some goodwill. Their actions were perfectly legal. Still, sometimes goodwill can count a lot more than the dollars. I’m just happy to be in a new situation.

                        • 9. Re: Early termination fee

                          tikibar1 wrote:

                           

                          Brian68 wrote:

                           

                          aztheroth wrote:

                           

                          Another down that Verizon has is that, at least for me, all my family and friends are from Puerto Rico. Verizon's family and friends doesn't cover phone numbers from Puerto Rico, even when it's a US territory, while other carriers does have unlimited any mobile, including Puerto Rico.

                           

                          Defintely I'm leaving.

                           

                          .

                          On Share Everything you get UNLIMITED minutes to ANY number.

                          That's true, but it doesn't cover Puerto Rico.  As the poster stated, other carriers include Puerto Rico, but Verizon charges international long distance rates and airtime charges when calling Puerto Rico.

                          Really? Well then that's dumb of Verizon. Do they charge extra for calls to Alaska and Hawaii too?

                          1 2 Previous Next