How do I activate my new phone?
lov3struckxx3

I know I used to be able to dial a number, but I do not remember it now.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I activate my new phone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone5 is activated through the SIM card and itunes (maybe). You don't need to dial anything for activation with 4G LTE devices on Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

That is NOT exactly 100% True Ann154: If you order your Apple IPhone 5 from a Non-Verizon Website like Apple.com like I did, and then try to Activate over Verizon's Cellular Network (A New Feature Supported by the Apple IPhone 4S and Newer) and this is your first time Activating your new IPhone 5, Verizon has you call their Toll Free Activation Number (877), and provide your IPhone Number and your Order Number displayed on your IPhone from your Primary Land Line. Just FYI.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

But you don't dial that number on the phone you are activating.

I believe the OP was referring to the *228 business. That number isn't necessary anymore.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

As I previously said, the IPhone 5 which is 4G LTE did prompt me to Dial an (877) Number from a Land Line for Activation. Just FYI.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which I don't think a person wouldn't have to do if they activated the phone through their MyVerizon account online.

I can only recall one time in the last five years of having to call into Verizon Wireless to get a phone activated besides dialing *228, option 1 and actually speaking with a live person for assistance with the activation. That one time was only to get my SIM card recognized in the system.

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

As I previously said, I ordered this IPhone 5 from Apple.Com NOT VerizonWireless.Com. If you try to Activate through the iPhone 5's ON SCREEN MENU over the CELLULAR DATA NETWORK, you need to CALL VERIZON'S 877 Number.

0 Likes
Not applicable

KEV815PAN wrote:

As I previously said, I ordered this IPhone 5 from Apple.Com NOT VerizonWireless.Com. If you try to Activate through the iPhone 5's ON SCREEN MENU over the CELLULAR DATA NETWORK, you need to CALL VERIZON'S 877 Number.

That's just dumb. What if the cell phone is the only phone you have access to?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello everyone!

We have some great comments going on here, but I did want to just make sure to clarify about the activation process for the iPhone 5. This website http://bit.ly/TjPumd gives you all the possible methods of activating your new device. (1) You can plug the device into iTunes and follow the steps there. (2) You can follow the steps to perform the activation over the air if you are in a good service area (basically what *228 was). (3) There is also a method for wi-fi activation. All of these will fully activate your iPhone both with Apple and with Verizon Wireless.

The previous number that you dialed (*228) is not applicable on 4G devices such as the iPhone 5. Now, the automated system that you call (877-807-4646) is to make sure that the terms and conditions of the contract extension has gone through and make the change over in our billing system. You are able to call this number, before any of the previous activation steps outlined above, to make sure that if you were changing your data plan or adding insurance or a hotspot feature, that it does get added as was indicated in the original order. Then follow one of the other 3 types of activation to complete the process.

I hope this helps to clarify the activation process and for any questions, Customer Service is at your service!

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes