Razr M - Eating data
RazrM_BAD
Enthusiast - Level 1
I was told by Verizon that the Motorola Razr M isn't as good as the iPhone when it comes to using it in wifi mode. This phone has been using all of my data very quickly. Verizon's solution is to manually turn off my blue tooth, gps and mobile data when not in use. So therefore, their solution is to use this 'smart' phone as a DUMB phone. Is this for real? I gave up my grandfathered unlimited data plan so I can manually shut off features that this phone is supposed to default on it's own? I don't get it. This phone is a major disappointment. Has anyone experience the same?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Razr M - Eating data
Not applicable

No one said ANY phone shuts off these features automatically. How is the GPS supposed to know when you're not using it? GPS and bluetooth don't use data anyway. No needs to have GPS and bluetooth on 24/7. You'll save your battery by keeping them off unless you're using them. I suspect you have your apps set to update automatically. You need to shut that off. I also have it where it only update apps over wi-fi unless I choose otherwise. I also shut off background data. That will also save on your battery. You're going to encounter this on any phone. Of course the guy at the Verizon store wanted to sell you an iphone. More commission for him.

0 Likes
RazrM_BAD
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well the Verizon rep told me that GPS and Bluetooth should be shut off because there was a chance that it DID use mobile data.  I also use wifi for apps and anything more, but the Verizon Rep thought that the phone was using both wifi AND mobile data synonymously.  Screwy I know.  They also said that a 4G phone eats up data faster? 

0 Likes
vanceolm

I've been going back and forth with verizon since i received the razr m as a preorder. I had to come off my unlimited data to do so, and they told me since I was only using about 2 gb of average a month that i should be ok with a 4 gb or 6 gb plan. I chose the 8 gb plan to be safe since i now had the ability to use the mobile hotspot. My phone alone is already at 8gb and I'm only 2/3 of the way through my billing cycle. I attribute this to the poor data quality. My signal has a -10dbm signal worst than other 4g devices in my household and continuosly fluxuates or drops me from Wi-fi, 4g, 3g and 1x. Found out from Verizon today that Motorola has finally acccepted blame for this and will be issuing a software patch this month to help fix it. I'm not sure they can with a patch if it's an hardware issue, but can see them taking the cheapest way out of it....

0 Likes
Not applicable

The only part of GPS that would data is any navigation or map apps. But that's not really GPS. GPS by itself doesn't use data. Anyways you shouldn't have it on if you're not using just for saving on your battery. Bluetooth doesn't use mobile data. Once again it's a good idea to have it off because it saves battery. Unless there is a bug it shouldn't be using wi-fi and data at the same time. Once again did you make sure you do not have apps auto update. Also did you make sure that background data is off? Now anytime you use an app that needs to use background data( and that's most of them ) you have to go and turn off background data again when you're done with that app. This also saves battery life.

0 Likes
Not applicable

vanceolm wrote:

I've been going back and forth with verizon since i received the razr m as a preorder. I had to come off my unlimited data to do so, and they told me since I was only using about 2 gb of average a month that i should be ok with a 4 gb or 6 gb plan. I chose the 8 gb plan to be safe since i now had the ability to use the mobile hotspot.

Well that would explain the increase in data use. If you're using the hot spot you're obviously using data you've never used before because you didn't have that feature. If your phone data use is the the same then of course on using the hot spot would increase your data usage. What, did you think that data didn't count or something?

0 Likes
percefullr

The best way to use the hotspot is to prepare your data first then get on, do your job, and get off asap.  You can transfer an hours worth of work in a few seconds.

0 Likes
vanceolm

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you all. I brought up the hotspot functionality as part of my decision to go up to 8gb, but i haven't used it yet Smiley Sad Phone is rough enough without it lol. Thankfully they're swapping me out to a different phone since I"ve already have two of the RAZR M's, so here's hoping there arean't any issues with the RAZR MAXX HD Smiley Happy

0 Likes
paparap

Did any of the geniuses at Verizon tell you to turn on Smartactions?  I have a home rule set up that turns on WiFi and turns off data at home.  At work I actually work so I only use my phone during breaks and lunch.  When I leave the house the WiFi turns off and the Data turns on automatically.  I don't get why this is giving you trouble.  I have GPS location on all the time but don't use Bluetooth.  My data for 2 weeks is 216 MB.  That's with my Razr M and my son's S3 which he also sets up for WiFi at home AND has a trail of unlocked WiFi leading all the way home from school on an almost one hour bus ride (again, beats using data).  If I were more careful I could drill that down even further.  Verizon reps suck, make no mistake.  Use WiFi whenever possible.  If anyone is having trouble with WiFi I think you are in the minority.  The Razr M has worked flawlessly and is crazy fast on WiFi and although I live in an area with some spotty 4G service, when I am out and about in the city where 4G is solid the phone is super fast.  Of course, out and about there are WiFi networks open everywhere to save on your data.  I set the phone up day one to do all of this and have had zero problems since. 

0 Likes
cadmanl

hi paprap.  i am on day 2 of owning my razrm.  how would i go about setting up my phone to turn wi-fi on automatically?  also, you mentioned that your wi-fi goes off automatically when you leave the house...can i set my phone up so that wi-fi turns back on automatically when i return to a "solid 4G" area?

thank you and merry christmasSmiley Happy

Elsi

0 Likes