7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 3:23 AM by Droid Usrr RSS

FM Radio Galaxy S3

jvk52td

Having a Droid X for many years on Verizon I enjoyed the FM app I installed on it for football games, mowing, etc. Just bought my Galaxy S3 a few days ago and I am very disappointed this app will not work on this phone.

I guess I was lead astray by all the videos about the radio on YouYube !!   I was even told by a Verizon rep at one of their stores it had the app !!

I call customer support and Samsung says it is Verizon and Verizon says it is Samsung, go figure !!  I call again and then I am told it is the 3rd party developer of the app. Why does not anyone know the whole truth about the FM radio on this phone ??  Why would Samsung and the major carriers in the USA  not want this feature on the phone, let me guess, more data streaming usage by the user ??

Much that I watched on You Tube made me think this was going to work, but nooooo, not in the USA ???   I was told today by a Samsung rep that everything that is needed for that app to work is in that phone. I was told by Samsung this is being held up by the FCC. I don't know if this is true although and don't know who to believe.

I have written corporate Samsung and their reply was a bunch of ** !!

Does anyone else have info on this ???

John

• 1. Re: FM Radio Galaxy S3
          Droid Usrr

First, what is the actual app name, and who makes it? There are a bunch of apps that have "fm" in the name.

• 2. Re: FM Radio Galaxy S3
            B33

D.U. The Fm Radio the Op is referring is actually not a App it was a Fm Radio build in the OS and the Droid X is one of the Phones that had it the Incredible had one as Well you could actually tune to Local Radio stations but you had to have a Set of Corded earphones plugged in to Make it Work.. When i got my Razr Maxx i was a little discouraged that it Didn't have one as Well..

• 3. Re: FM Radio Galaxy S3
              B33

John i like Having the Fm tuner in my X as well and i still have my Droid X but i think with so many Radio Apps like, Tune us in and i heart Radio an of course Pandora and Slacker,,, i think the Companies decided just to leave it out...

• 4. Re: FM Radio Galaxy S3
                breezex

If you want to read a long, 21 pages of "FM Radio in Galaxy S3?" discussions.  Go to:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1732685

Bottom line, there is no FM radio and most likely never will be. Why?  See: "US Galaxy S3 Missing the FM Radio Hardware":

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=31576462

• 5. Re: FM Radio Galaxy S3
                  Droid Usrr

B33 wrote:

D.U. The Fm Radio the Op is referring is actually not a App it was a Fm Radio build in the OS and the Droid X is one of the Phones that had it the Incredible had one as Well you could actually tune to Local Radio stations but you had to have a Set of Corded earphones plugged in to Make it Work.. When i got my Razr Maxx i was a little discouraged that it Didn't have one as Well..

B33, If you read the OP, he said he installed an FM app. He said:

"Having a Droid X for many years on Verizon I enjoyed the FM app I installed on it for football games, mowing, etc. Just bought my Galaxy S3 a few days ago and I am very disappointed this app will not work on this phone."

• 6. Re: FM Radio Galaxy S3
                    B33

Yes i know that there is a app called Last.Fm you use it with other apps like Winamp.. there was also an Fm Radio that was built in the Droid X that ones could Utilize.. And i re-read the Post and sometimes being on here too long as i mentioned before minor mistakes can happen.. So i owe up to em an move on...   Later Dude  b33

• 7. Re: FM Radio Galaxy S3
                      Droid Usrr

No problem, been there before..