4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2012 2:35 PM by Verizon Wireless Customer Support RSS

(Extremely Simple) Data Overage Charges Question

I can not find this answer anywhere, which is odd because it seems like it's a simple enough question and probably a common one for someone who is not anywhere near used to a limited data plan.  I have a new iPhone 5.  The data limit is 2 GB.  I got a message saying I'm over my limit.  Fine.  It's pro-rated which means I didn't get 2 GB for the first few days but I also didn't pay as much.  Fine.  I have no idea what the limit is until it starts new on October 11.  I also don't know what the carge is, if anything,  (There should be no charge since I was already under a data plan and paid the full amount for unlimited data the month before--unless of course they refund part of that amount and zero everything out, I guess that would be fine then.)  Those facts don't really concern me at this point, so I'm not necessarily seeing the answer to those questions as a priority for right now.

All I simply want to know is what is the cost of going over the limit and how much do you have to be over before you are charged.  I have read conflicting reports from various sources, none of them associated with this particualr website.  If it's $15 for 1 GB over, then I have nothing to worry about until I actually reach 3 GB, correct?  I wouldn't be charged for say, 2.5 GB or even 2.99 GB?  Again, this information was nowhere to be found.  I'm assuming it is somewhere here, I just apparently don't know where to look.

Thank you for any help you can provide and if it's not too much trouble, please also provide a link if you're not an official CSR.  I'll take any information that anyone has, however, at this point.

• 1. Re: (Extremely Simple) Data Overage Charges Question

If you are on a Share Everything plan, you are charged $15/GB for overages. If you have a 6GB allowance, you will be charged $15 as soon as you are over your allowance, another $15 after you exceed 7GB, etc...

If you are on a tiered data plan such as the 2GB for $30, the overage is $10/GB and is charged in the same manner.

• 2. Re: (Extremely Simple) Data Overage Charges Question

On tiered data plans, usage is rounded up to the nearest GB on your bill.  If you are on a 2-GB plan and use 2.001 GB, you'll be charged for an extra GB since you went over your limit.

And if you switched phones/plans during your billing cycle, then yes, you were pro-rated on your data.

There's also glitches in how the iPhone 5 is reporting data usage; lots of threads about this on this forum if you want to do a search.

• 3. Re: (Extremely Simple) Data Overage Charges Question

Thank you.  I am on a tierd data plan.  I do know about the wifi problems, so I'm assuming there will be some type of grace by Verizon for the first month or for the first billing charge at least.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't have much intention of paying any overages for the first few days of this paticular billing cycle.  I think I know how to do the update on my phone so that the wifi issue is fixed.

I'll just have to wait and see what the bill says I guess, since my cycle is up in three days.  I'm assuming there's no other way to view the information that really matters.  Again, I know I'm over 2 GB at this point so I guess that's at least helpful.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: (Extremely Simple) Data Overage Charges Question
                Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Hi there Gabelogan99!

I'm so excited for your new iPhone 5! I hope you're loving it. I wanted to chime in here and provide a link to some additional information.

No one likes overages so you're able to Dial #DATA (#3282) and get an estimate of your current data usage. If you have the tiered $30.00/2 GB stand alone data plan then it would be $10.00/1 GB used passed your allotment.

If you're on the new Share Everything Plan then it would be $15.00/1 GB or if we have the option we could possibly "backdate" a higher data plan. The plans differences are only $10.00 between each allotment.
                For example if you have the 2 GB Share Everything Plan it's only $10.00 more to go to the 4 GB plan. 

If you ever have any other questions though here's a really good link: http://bit.ly/RQtRY7

#2 under "General Information" provides a grid for the stand alone plan and #7 under "Manage Your Data" refers to Share Everything.

Enjoy your new phone and let us know if you have any other questions! Thank you community for helping out.

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport