1 2 3 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2014 2:57 AM by misterandy RSS

Verizon Is Too Expensive

VerizonIsTooExpensive

I've been a loyal Verizon Wireless customer for 13 years.  Kept on adding phones and now have 2 regular phones and 3 smart phones to pay for. When I tried to upgrade an style phone for a new smart phone, I am confronted by the Super EXPENSIVE Share Everything plans.  Old plan cost me $193/mo.  New one will be $260/mo.  I am currently looking for a new carrier.  Goodbye Verizon Wireless. 

Perhaps the new plans should be called the Share_All_My_Money_With_Verizon_Plans.   :-((

A formerly loyal, but now UNHAPPY customer. 

• 1. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive
          Ann154

Existing customers are NOT required  to switch to the Share Everything plans.  You can add just the 2 GB data plan for $30 per month when upgrading a basic phone to a smartphone.

• 2. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive
            Jax_Omen

A) You do *NOT* have to switch to the new share everything plans, you can keep your current plan and add an individual data plan for the new smartphone (going from 2 basic 3 smart to 1 basic 4 smart, is what it sounds like from your post). This would be a net increase of $30/month from where you're at now, and the line would have 2gb of data.

B) Verizon *IS* expensive. To a large degree, it's "you get what you pay for" - Verizon has the most reliable and most expansive coverage NATIONWIDE: they may not have the most reliable or most expansive coverage in a particular area, but they do overall. They also have, by far, the largest amount of 4g LTE markets. For people who travel, these things matter. If you don't travel, see who offers what in your area. For example, where I live T-Mobile actually has really good coverage, HSPA+ is fast enough for me, and I like their plans, AND (this is key here) I don't travel. EVER.

So I don't use Verizon, personally. Many people are literally STUCK with Verizon because of either the coverage where they live or because of the coverage where they travel. Gotta weigh the cost of the quality network vs the value it offers *YOU*.

• 3. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive
              dimap52

This is technically true, but Verizon, unlike AT&T,, intentionally and deliberately obfuscates this information by not making the plans available on the main website, whereas AT&T's plans are still right there along with the Share plans.  And since the employees are most likely enjoined from pointing this out to upgrading customers, the Share Plans are the only plans they believe are their only options.

I did enough research to arm myself with this information before I upgraded, and nothing was changed in the upgrade for me, but others find themselves saddled with big increases in their monthly costs. I agree with the OP, these plans ARE too expensive for the value (or lack thereof) that they offer. Personally, I feel the whole business model underlying these "share" plans as currently implemented is blatant price gouging at it's very worst.

Until I see significant increase in value for dollar in the liberalization of data allowances on these plans, (at least a factor of 4x increase at current price points) I will have nothing to do with these plans.

• 4. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive

VerizonIsTooExpensive wrote:

I've been a loyal Verizon Wireless customer for 13 years.  Kept on adding phones and now have 2 regular phones and 3 smart phones to pay for. When I tried to upgrade an style phone for a new smart phone, I am confronted by the Super EXPENSIVE Share Everything plans.  Old plan cost me $193/mo.  New one will be $260/mo.  I am currently looking for a new carrier.  Goodbye Verizon Wireless. 

Perhaps the new plans should be called the Share_All_My_Money_With_Verizon_Plans.   :-((

A formerly loyal, but now UNHAPPY customer. 

you're old plan will be at least $30 more that that $193 because you will have to add a data plan to that phone. So that $223. I'm not sure how you are getting it for $193. We have 4 smartphones 700 minute unlimited texting, three 2 GB data plans for $30 and one 300 MB plan for $20 and a 20% discount on the first line and the texting and we pay $231 with taxes.

• 5. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive

right. I just upgrade my son's phone at walmart and the girl told us that we had to switch to Share Everything. I said no and at first she said he had too. I then told her I had just upgraded mine 2 months before and we didn't have to switch and I can prove that we don't. I then told her that even though the computer says we do if she just ignores that it will show the 2 GB option and it did. Not really her fault. Verizon doesn't educate non-Verizon employees that grandfathered accounts don't have to upgrade.

What's funny is when I upgrade my phone back in July I did it at a Verizon store and the girl didn't even offer me the option to switch to Share Everything. She just kept me at 2 GB.

• 6. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive
                    Tidbits

Brian68 wrote:

right. I just upgrade my son's phone at walmart and the girl told us that we had to switch to Share Everything. I said no and at first she said he had too. I then told her I had just upgraded mine 2 months before and we didn't have to switch and I can prove that we don't. I then told her that even though the computer says we do if she just ignores that it will show the 2 GB option and it did. Not really her fault. Verizon doesn't educate non-Verizon employees that grandfathered accounts don't have to upgrade.

What's funny is when I upgrade my phone back in July I did it at a Verizon store and the girl didn't even offer me the option to switch to Share Everything. She just kept me at 2 GB.

It's the 3rd party retailers.  They get paid more if they get you to switch to that plan.  A few of my friends own 3 party retailer stores, and that's what they told me, but they didn't go into detail how much more lol.

• 7. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive
                      brensgrrl

But the SERVICE is lousy and Verizon is completely disrespectful of its old customers.  I agree, they are too @#$! expensive!

When people start jumping ship, that will be the only thing that makes them realize that they would not even exist without customers.  I too, am an "original" customer and have been here from the beginning.  But I guess that I am nothing but trash to Verizon.  And. . . NOPE! My bill is not behind nor has it ever been behind.  I am drowning in debt trying to keep the bill paid. I keep thinking of that funny commercial with the "Bundling" couple.  That's Verizon.  Like a leech they just keep wanting more money.  When my contract is over, I quit.  With the high liquidated damage fees on my account I cannot quit just yet, but when the contract is over, its goodbye to Verizon altogether, and that includes the FiOS package at my home.  Just Sick of them. . .

• 8. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive
                        brensgrrl

Our family has two smartphones and one of them is on an unlimited data plan.  My phone is not a smartphone and I have NO data plan.  Still, my bill exceeds $250 most months. . .go figure. . .

• 9. Re: Verizon Is Too Expensive
                          Tidbits

brensgrrl wrote:

Our family has two smartphones and one of them is on an unlimited data plan.  My phone is not a smartphone and I have NO data plan.  Still, my bill exceeds $250 most months. . .go figure. . .

You have other options or you have overages.  before I had 5 lines.  4 basic 1 smartphone and I pay 180.  When I switched to the new plan I now have 10 lines 6 smartphones 4 basic phones

1 2 3 Previous Next