1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 11, 2012 9:56 AM by Verizon Wireless Customer Support RSS

Month-to-Month data plan | Galaxy 10.1 Tablet OFF CONTRACT

DVel

I am completely confused and am hoping someone can help me. I purchased a Galaxy 10.1 in July 2011 OFF CONTRACT, with the specific intention  that I did not want to be locked in to a monthly data plan that I likely wasn't going to use very often but I wanted the option to connect it later, should I need/want it.  That need didn't come until 14 Sep (just 3 weeks ago) when I was traveling with my family and needed to get some work done while on the road.  I contacted customer service the night before we left to have them activate the SIM card and was told that the card the tablet was shipped with wasn't one that could be reactivated.  She told me to take in to a VZW store and simply tell them that I wanted the tablet activated for a month-to-month plan and just needed a new SIM card.  I did exactly that.  The process went fairly quickly - I was in and out in approx 15 min. 

Yesterday, the last day of my billing cycle, I was trying to figure out how to suspend the service from my tablet...silly me, I thought it would be that simple.  Long story short, I wound up stuck in this endless loop between customer service and the website "Suspend Service" option and wasn't able to disconnect the tablet.  While searching through the My Verizon site last night, I noticed that there is now a contract end date for my tablet of 14 Sept 2014!  I also went into the Documents section and discovered that there is a document stating that disconnecting service before this date "will result in a minimum $350 early termination fee."  This is exactly what I was trying to avoid by paying the extra $200 to buy my tablet OFF CONTRACT 16 months ago. 

Unfortunately it's after hours and I can't contact customer service tonight....though, to be perfectly honest, I almost don't want to because I know I'm going to be so upset by the nonsense they're going to try to tell me. 

I've been a VZW customer for several years and while their network service is far superior, their customer service is lacking severely.  Every time I contact them to do something for me, they wind up messing something else up -- often resulting in another 30-45 min hold time, followed by 10 min of apologizing for the inconvenience before finally correcting the issue. 

I'm extremely unhappy with my phone (HTC Thunderbolt) but love my tablet.  Again, network service is fantastic but is well above market and I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze, at this point.

• 1. Re: Month-to-Month data plan | Galaxy 10.1 Tablet OFF CONTRACT
          Verizon Wireless Customer Support

@DVel,

Never fear help is here! You are absolutely correct. Since you paid full retail you are not under contract.

I'll be more than happy to take a look at your account and see what's going on. Please send me a direct message with your name and number so I can access your account and further assist you.

You can also contact via Twitter @VZWSupport for assistance. We're available Monday to Friday 7am to 10pm and Saturdays & Sundays 7am to 4pm CDT.

John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport