Is the iPhone 5 Unlocked?
joaquin7

I have been reading about Verizon's iPhone 5 being completely unlock. Since I travel often out of the country I really would like to know if this is a true fact or just a rumor. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is the iPhone 5 Unlocked?
iPhoneNerd
Contributor - Level 1

It is.

0 Likes
xswtnsour13x

Have you tried it? I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and it is locked.

0 Likes
xswtnsour13x

I think it depends on which one. My iPhone 5 from Verizon is NOT unlocked.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you have access to a T-Mobile or AT&T sim card just try using it in your iPhone to see if it works. If it does  then you know the info stated on other sites is true. I know originally it was stated that iPhone 5's shipped from VZW were unlocked but no info provided on if those shipped from Apple are also unlocked.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

How have you checked?

According to Apple's website, US iPhones will be locked to the carrier within the US.

You would, however, be able to insert a SIM card from a foreign carrier for use internationally, and some have reported that with an international SIM you can also roam on other US carriers.

There are those that say the Verizon iPhone 5 is NOT locked to Verizon as a US carrier, though I have not seen anyone who has said otherwise from experience. They only point to websites stating about "theoretically" being unlocked.

Have you tried an AT&T SIM in your Verizon iPhone 5? An international SIM?

0 Likes
sococky
Enthusiast - Level 3

True, doesn't do the unlocked thingy with iTunes when you do a restore, but unlocked domestically for sure.  😉

0 Likes