4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2012 6:06 AM by Keswick1 RSS

GSM Capability for iPhone 5?

Keswick1

I was told by Verizon Global Support yesterday that I can roam in Europe (or anywhere in GSM-land) because the Verizon iPhone 5 is GSM-capable.  I then heard from a techie friend that this GSM capability is going to be closed by Apple with a software SIM.

Does anyone have any information on whether we can roam in GSM-land with our Phone 5's?

• 1. Re: GSM Capability for iPhone 5?
          rcschnoor

In the US, you will be locked to your own carrier, with the exception if you are using a foreign SIM card and are roaming with this SIM card in the US. Using your Verizon SIM in the US, though would be more cost effective than using a foreign SIM to "roam" on another carrier.

You will be able to use a foreign SIM card throughout Europe in "GSM-land" more cost effective than using your Verizon SIM card in Europe as you would be paying local rates rather than Verizon's internation roaming rates.

• 2. Re: GSM Capability for iPhone 5?
            Keswick1

This is super helpful and good news.  If I understand your advice correctly, I could use my Verizon US SIM card in GSM-land, but pay the Verizon Global Roaming rates, or buy a European SIM card for a trip a lot cheaper.  Please let me know if this is correct

Thanks!

• 3. Re: GSM Capability for iPhone 5?
              rcschnoor

Correct.

With the iPhone 4S, you had to call Verizon to have your phone "unlocked" to be able to use a foreign SIM card. I BELIEVE this step has been eliminated for the iPhone 5, but you MAY want to confirm this information with Verizon prior to leaving for Europe, though.

• 4. Re: GSM Capability for iPhone 5?
                Keswick1

THANKS!!!