7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2014 1:41 AM by pitzerdc RSS

I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network

RCG73

This has become a headache.. Any time I try to send a photo via text.. it compresses( resize) and ultimately fails to get sent with the notification "mms not supported by network". This is on my Samsung galaxy 3.. My wife/daughter have been having this problem on their iPhone 4 longer than me as well..  What's the issue here..?? Everything was OK then photo texts just stopped going out on all of these phones.. There's a lot of $$$ spent for smartphones and for what..I can't benefit from the features ! Anyone out there with similar issues?.. My mobile data is ON..so cross that off of the list.. The phone has been restarted too..

• 1. Re: I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network
          breezex

Since multiple members of your family using a different brand of phone have the same problem it may be a Verizon issue with the tower or network of towers that you are connecting to.  Or by accident a change may have been made in your texting plan.  Even though you have Mobile data turned on are you sure you are getting a 3G or 4G connection?  Give Verizon tech service a call and explain the problem and where you are located.

Just for grins, turn WiFi off and try sending a MMS.  With WiFi off what kind of connection do you have?

• 2. Re: I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network
            RCG73

@ breezex.. I 've had this problem regardless of tower or 'cell'.. I work in another state and mms messages fail regardless of area.. I have tried to turn off wifi, but even with my galaxy getting a 4G conn..or the other phones connected to the 3 G network.. all texts with images attached -regardless of resolution( i've tried sending the lowest res. pics) all fail.- MMS not supported by network. .. Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network
              breezex

Something is definitely wrong with the way your account is set up.  Call Verizon and have them check to make sure the correct options are selected for you to send mms.  Some of the options are not exactly self explanatory, but the tech should know which ones are necessary.  Good luck.

• 4. Re: I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network
                demmo86rt

Yes, this definitely sounds like an account error.

• 5. Re: I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network
                  Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Hi RCG73,

I can imagine the family frustration when this is happening to everyone in the household. We definitely don't want the messaging trouble to continue. Are you able to receive picture messages without a problem? If you are, this can help eliminate the majority of problems with the account itself and it will be something in the network that we need to address. I know you've tried in multiple areas but I want you to verify that WiFi is not just "Not Connected" but physically turned "Off." Even when it's not connected the phones will believe that it's the method of trying to send and it's not supported.

The iPhone's have a setting under Settings -> Messages -> MMS Messaging that needs to be turned "On" to support the functionality. Verify that the number you're sending the message to is a 10-digit number (area code   number). It cannot contain the 1 before the area code as it will normally fail. Verify that none of the devices have a signature enabled to go out with the messages. Once all that has been checked and verified, everything on your end has been accomplished. If any lines continue with the problem please follow me (MariaC_VZW) and send me a direct message with your number so I can review other details.

Thank you,
                  MariaC_VZW
                  Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

• 6. Re: I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network
                    Inesita

I am also having trouble sending test messages to multiple recipients.  Whether its two or ten people I have the same result.  The message keeps telling me that is sending and after a while it never goes through.  It also happens if I try to send pictures or media.  It happens from home and other places too.  I have had the Samsung galaxy S3 phone for about 3 weeks.  Didn't have this problem at the beginning but for the past few days I've seen this occurrence.  I also went to the applications manager but did not see the "All" application, just others.  I hope we find a fix to this problem soon, as it seems to be a software issue.

I live in NJ 07059 area code. 

• 7. Re: I keep getting failed messages - - mms not supported by network
                      pitzerdc

The way I found to fix my similar problem (Motorola Droid) was to go into Settings-"More" (Under Data Usage)-Mobile Networks-then look at network Mode.  Mine was set to Global and didn't work.  I changed mine to LTE/CDMA.  Then backed out of the settings and it works now like it is supposed to.  The odd thing is it had always been working till the last couple days.  I know I didn't change the setting intentionally, I'm wondering if an app I installed changed it somehow?  Don't know.  Only know it is fixed.