5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2012 5:21 AM by rcschnoor Branched to a new discussion. RSS

upgrade phone & service

sducap

I need to upgrade my phone & service so that I can have internet access for work.. my contract isn't completed till January 2013 ?

• 1. Re: upgrade phone & service
          Ann154

If your contract ends in January 2013, then you are eligible for an upgrade four months prior to the end of the contract at the 20th month point in your current contract.

Please check your account again through your MyVerizon account online.

• 2. Re: upgrade phone & service
            sducap

October 2012, I will beable to purchase a smartphone at upgrade price correct ? then I only need  internet added to my service which I can do also in October as well ? I just want to be clear, Have been told NO not possible to often... Also been told I should get a deal now seeing how I am upgrading to a smartphone...

• 3. Re: upgrade phone & service
              Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Hi there SDucap!

Ooh! I'm excited you want to get an upgraded phone.  You can easily check your ugprade date by dialing #UPG from your phone or online via My Verizon. 

When you get a smartphone you will have the option of either choosing a $30.00 2 GB data package added on to your current monthly plan or you can change to a Share Everything plan.

Check out more about our Share Everything here: http://bit.ly/RQtRY7

You can make the changes to your data now or when you upgrade. I would personally recommend to wait until you upgrade as you won't be using it yet!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
              Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

• 4. Re: upgrade phone & service
                SuzyQ

sducap wrote:

October 2012, I will beable to purchase a smartphone at upgrade price correct ? then I only need  internet added to my service which I can do also in October as well ? I just want to be clear, Have been told NO not possible to often... Also been told I should get a deal now seeing how I am upgrading to a smartphone...

Whether you can "add internet to your service" depends on how old your current plan is - you may have to choose a "share everything " option for a single line which means unlimited minutes, unlimited texting, and a data amount.  There are also plans for limited minutes and smaller buckets of data, but I believe those only apply to "basic" phones, not smartphones.

If you are upgrading to a smartphone and your plan is one no longer offered or compatible with current plans, then you may have to choose one of the "share everything" tiers.

Confusing?  Yeah... but post back if you have more questions and we'll try to sort through your options.

• 5. Re: upgrade phone & service
                  rcschnoor

Since you are a "current" Verizon customer, you MAY also be able to choose one of the tiered data plans instead of the new "Share Everything" plan.

I know you can go this route when you upgrade from smartphone to smartphone, but I THINK it may also be available for "current" customers who want to upgrade from basic phone to smartphone. This may be more cost effective for a single line than the Share Everything plan.