6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2012 12:41 PM by bcooper153 RSS

i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages

i-GB

I recently upgraded to an i-phone 4.  I love the phone, except I can't send or receive picture messages.  When trying to send, it gets about 99% complete and then fails.  For receiving, nothing ever comes through.  My old "crappy" flip phone (which was on the same plan) could send/receive pic messages, so I don't know what is going on.  I have tried *228 - option 2, but no luck.  Anyone know how I could possibly get this sorted out?

• 1. Re: i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages
          Ann154

Dialing *228, option 1 is what will reprogram the phone to the Verizon Wireless network.  When you are trying to send or receive the picture messages, do you have an active 3G cellular data connection?

• 2. Re: i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages
            soupcannon

In message settings be sure you have the option to get mms messages turned on

• 3. Re: i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages
              Verizon Wireless Customer Support

Hello i-GB! I'm sorry to hear about the problems encountered while attempting to send a message. I would suggest completing a soft reset. Hold down the power button until the Apple Logo appears. Once the phone powers back up. Please try to resend a picture message. Please let me if this works.

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

• 4. Re: i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages
                bcooper153

I'm having the same problem.  Upgraded to the iPhone4 on Sep 7.  Picture messaging via MMS worked for a few days.

Since Sep 11, I have been unable to send any picture messages, except to other iPhones but only when in a wifi hotspot (iMessage).  I think an iOS update may have been pushed that day (I'm now on iOS v5.1.1).  MMS is turned on.  I can upload pictures to facebook both via wifi and cellular data.  I have tested this every way I can (cellular data on/off, wifi on/off, to/from iPhones and non-iPhones).

I attempted the soft reset, with no change.

This sounds like a VZW network issue or something that was "tweaked" in iOS 5.

I need to be able to send picture messages.

bordering on

• 5. Re: i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages
                  flames

same issue for me tried all of the above no good!!!

• 6. Re: i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages
                    bcooper153

I tried again, and was able to send picture messages, but ONLY with "cellular data" on AND in a 3G service area.

So, here it is

iPhone<>iPhone over wifi (iMessage) works

iPhone<>non-iPhone over wifi does not work (because the other phone isn't iOS, so iMessage isn't there)

iPhone<>iPhone over VZW with cellular data off (MMS) does not work

iPhone<>non-iPhone over VZW with cellular data off (MMS) does not work

iPhone<>iPhone over VZW with cellular data ON on BOTH devices works, BUT ONLY IF IN A 3G SERVICE AREA

iPhone<>iPhone over VZW with cellular data ON only on the sending device does not work (will not receive until cell data is turned on)

iPhone<>iPhone over VZW with cellular data ON only on the receiving device does not work (will not send)

iPhone<>non-iPhone over VZW with cellular data ON works, BUT ONLY IF IN A 3G SERVICE AREA

So, it only works over wifi with another iOS device, OR if I use my PAID DATA PLAN.  That's NOT free messaging.

Time to call support.

• 7. Re: i-Phone 4 can't send/receive Picture messages
                      bcooper153

I just spoke with VZW tech support. 

Picture messaging (multi-media or "MMS") requires that "cellular data" is turned "on" BUT DOES NOT CHARGE AGAINST YOUR DATA PLAN.  This is by the design of the iOS devices.

Since I normally travel with my cellular data off, it is merely a minor inconvenience to turn that feature "ON" when I want to send a picture message and turn it back off when I am done (so facebook, google calendar, and comcast e-mail aren't constantly synching and eating up my data plan ... that's by MY design.

Not quite , so maybe , but I can live with it.