LG Lucid screen goes black during phone calls?
theshorttower
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sometimes during a phone call, my screen will turn off and won't turn back on to save my life. I either have to take out the battery, or the other person has to hang up before the screen starts to work again. I've tried using the unlock button and cleaning the sensor, but it still doesn't work.

Recently, I left an awkward voicemail because I had to remove the battery. So, I was just wondering what I should do to fix this problem.

Thanks!!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: LG Lucid screen goes black during phone calls?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The proximity sensor is supposed to turn the screen off while near your ear or face. Does the power button awake the phone when pressed during a call? If it ends the call then, I would suggest checking your call settings to turn the "power button ends call" option off. Have you verified that you aren't covering the proximity sensor while you are holding the phone?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
theshorttower
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nope, when I remove the phone from my ear/face, the screen is still blacked out. And pressing the power button does nothing. I have to wait until the other person hangs up, or take out the battery to end the call.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi theshorttower!  That can cause problems!  I would love to help.  Are you using a case or screen protector for your Lucid?  If so, I suggest removing & retesting.  I would also like you to test it while powered up in safe mode.  http://bit.ly/Q8bmKk  This way we can see if it's an application affecting the device proximity sensor.  If it doesn't happen while in safe mode, I suggest either removing the last few downloaded applications http://bit.ly/PA4sQ7 or hard resetting the device http://bit.ly/PHmDSC.  Let me know how that works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
issasal
Enthusiast - Level 1

Dont listen to their tech support, they are dumb.  Making you uninstall apps, reset the phone, do this safemode crap.  The issue is definately the device proximity sensor.  All you have to do is go to Settings.  Then Display.  Then at the bottom, click Calibration.  Put the phone on the desk, and calibrate.  It will work fine afterwards.  The reason is when you put the phone to your ear, the screen goes black to save battery, then recovers when you move.  Recalibrating fixes the issue.

lmcpeak
Enthusiast - Level 1

i have had this problem since i received my lucid in april. i have called many time, tech support is rude and clueless.  i have a mother with cancer and with this issue on the phone, i can't retrieve my voicemails.  the back light won't stay on long enough.  when i asked to get another phone, not the lucid due to this issue, they told me i couldn't trade phones anytime i wanted.  i hate verizon tech support, i hate verizon for letting their employees treat customers like this.  i have called since two weeks after i had the phone, nothing has been done.  they finally sent another lucid, and guess what, does the same thing.  what a way to be treated with bad equipment for my 2 year contract. 

this is a equipment problem, i did have one great support gentleman and he said until the equipment got a patch or software fix, i would always have this problem. i can't hang up from calls, i can't put in pass words to get messages.  i am not a happy verizon customer right now!

0 Likes
lmcpeak
Enthusiast - Level 1

i've had same problem since i've had my phone.  they will not replace with a different phone, just a replacement phone which doesn't work either.  they are losing a customer when my contract is up!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@theshorttower and imcpeak - Both Anthony and issasal, (thank you for contributing btw) minus his/her first sentence, are right on the money! Those are all great troubleshooting steps. If you haven't tried them yet, start by recalibrating your phone's G-Sensor first, followed by safe mode if the calibration doesn't resolve it. Proceed with the next options afterwards if needed.

Definitely keep us posted with your results, please.

Thank you everyone, and take care!

NicandroN_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
khardy3352

I have had the same issue on with my LG Spectrum. Most pronounced recently, esp since the update. I tried safe mode and the screen still goes black. I cannot bring the screen back up with the power button, or moving the phone. I have tried re-calibrating, cleaning the motion sensor, resetting the screen timeout,having the Verizon store reset my phone back to factory settings, but still the screen goes black requiring me to remove the battery to hang up. On occasion it does not black out, but more often it does. Now what do I do?

0 Likes
phoodieman

Try this with your Spectrum VS290.  Go to Settings/Accessibility/Touch & hold delay   Use the radio button to set it to Long.  I struggled with the blank screen issure for a while.  I tried all of the suggestions here.  (Factory reset....etc).  Unless it was coincidence the above fixed my problem when none of these other suggestions did.

0 Likes