9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 11:22 AM by homas RSS

Jellybean update

JOlvera

When Verizon is ready to put ANdroid 4.1 Jellybean on Sansung S3, will the devices already sold with IceCreamSandwich be auto-updated?  Wondering if I should buy now or wait til it is finally released.

• 1. Re: Jellybean update
          Tidbits

No one knows here. You are not going to get an exact date.

• 2. Re: Jellybean update
            JOlvera

Not asking WHEN.... but asking IF when it is released the phones will auto-update or not.

• 3. Re: Jellybean update
              demmo86rt

Yes, when Samsung has put together the firmware, and Verizon has thoroughly tested it, it will be put together as an OTA (over the air) update and pushed to your phone. Keep in mind that, most likely, Verizon will be one of the last carriers to push the update as they tend to do a lot more network testing before an update is released.

• 4. Re: Jellybean update
                JOlvera

Thanks.  no one at my local Verizon could tell me that.  So I will go ahead and get my upgrade phone.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Jellybean update
                  demmo86rt

You'll like it, I think. From what I hear, it's a very nice phone (though I haven't had the opportunity to play with one personally).

• 6. Re: Jellybean update
                    japetty

Like they say be careful what you wish for you just might get it.  I did not wish for ICS to be put on my MAXX when I had it but many did.   Well they put ICS on the MAXX and then we lost battery performance.  My MAXX battery lasted 2 days on a charge before ICS after ICS it barely get a day.  The SG3 only gets about a day now for many people on a charge.  If that happens to the battery as it did the MAXX most will have to find a better battery and that will make the charge at least last a day which makes the phone much thicker which I for one don't want.  I don't thing they will give the SG3 JB until about March/April 2013.  This would be about the schedule of the ICS for the MAXX.  VZW does not do these things in Timely manor.

• 7. Re: Jellybean update
                      rbgreenberg

It's a very nice phone but would be better if V would release the update. I think they are holding it to sell more of the over-rated Ip5 because they have invested so much in it. The upgrade is too easily available for it not to be ready for us -I am getting real annoyed. They have strung us along for longer than I can stand

• 8. Re: Jellybean update
                        maya0630

The S3 is indeed an awesome phone. As far as Verizon trying to sell more of the iPhone5, I don't think so. Verizon is actually not keen on pushing the iPhone because their profit margin is way inferior than what they make on Android phones.

• 9. Re: Jellybean update
                          homas

Yes we will get the JB update. As far as when, Verizon won't say. I called support today because Sprint is currently rolling out JB for their Galaxy S3 customers. When I asked Verizon support when they gave me the company line....when it is thoroughly tested, we are working on it, etc. blah,blah,blah. No date. Just leaving us hanging. After all you've already been locked into a contract so where is their motivation to our satisfaction?