1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2012 1:00 PM by Ashton Roesbery RSS

Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data

Lilypu

I found out last week via a Target Mobile customer representative that Verizon is no longer "grandfathering" in those of us with unlimited data plans. I have been told by various Verizon representatives that it is for our own good. REALLY? We have been with Verizon for 11 years and they have over the years taken more and more away from us. Well, not any more . We are out of contract as of December of this year and will be moving to another carrier. This is one policy that Verizon needs to revist soon or they will be losing a lot of customers. I know that other carriers will limit us on data too, however at least it will be what I signed up for, not this bait and switch game with Verizon.

• 1. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
          Ashton Roesbery

I do understand your frustration, but you must realize the only company left with unlimited data for smartphones is Sprint. I have Sprint, I want to switch to Verizon I don't use my phone that much and they beat other competiitors, I'm already paying tons of money for two phones, (205.88/Mo). I would suggest you stay with them and go to the new share everything plan, however if you absolutely DO want to keep the data, you could buy a CPO or Certified Pre-owned Device from Customer Service, and get insurance on the device, or buy from Ebay or Amazon or Craigslist, but these items cannot be insured. Those are the more better options to opt in other than paying full retail. I suggest you call and ask what CPO devices we have in stock and see what you can get for your money, it's about half the price of full retail plus no extension of contract. Have you taken a look at your usage to see if you would benefit more from the Everything Share plan? It's pretty cheap. I wish you the best of luck

• 2. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
            Lilypu

I wonder who exactly would be looking at a Verizon site when they currently have another carrier as well as know so much about Verizons plans etc. Perhaps this discussion site is for Verizon to reply and defend themselves while posing as other customers? Pretty lame.....

• 3. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
              TroopA_Tech

I just registered to reply to your post. I went Sunday to get a Galaxy SIII from my local verizon store inside of BJ's-I have the Bionic and had another line with an upgrade that I wanted to use for purchase. When I bought the Bionic last year I was told as long as I never change my data plan I will never lose my unlimited data. So I didnt even question it this time. Everything was fine and she's doing the whole accessory pitch on me when she drops the 2gb line on me. I say I'm grandfathered and she continues to tell me that was only for a certain amount of time-honestly she could have said anything at that point I was boiling with frustration. Kept my Bionic and went home.******. I go on VZW click on upgrade device -pick my Galaxy add to cart- extra $30 credit,cool-heres the best part- NO CHANGE IN DATA PLAN WAS AN OPTION! So I kept the unlimited, got my kick *** new phone,and atleast until July of 2014 Im still grandfathered. Try it, even if your not ready for purchase. You can cancel before it goes too far. IDK if this rep was just trying to push me out of my plan or what the deal was, but I was doing backflips when the order went thru! Hope this helps you!

• 4. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
                Ashton Roesbery

Nah actually I'm a Customer Service Representative, I just know how everything works, I am not happy with some choices but I know that I would save money by switching after my contract is up, I'm the person you talk to on the other line, I just know the background of Verizon and stuff, been working for a year, I'm the kind of person who won't sell something if I don't believe in the product.. I've sold Kirby Vaccuums... that was horrible, about 80 hours a week no days off if I wanted to make money, all commission... But I believed in the product and made money, even though Kirbys are really expensive. I'm a real normal person lol, actually working at the moment, sometimes I reply from my phone when I get home, but usually I'm gaming then I sleep, if you must know.

• 5. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
                  Lilypu

Just what I thought. Sounds like you are a loyal employee which I applaud, however in the future you might choose to state that fact and not try to appear as a concerned consumer. You are telling me exactly what every other Verizon representative has told me. I accept the explanations, I simply do not agree with them.

• 6. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
                    Lilypu

Thanks for the reply. You are right at one point that WAS an option, it is now however not (for me at least). I have read other posts on the web that have said that plans were switched without notice. You should probably check your plan and make sure they did not change your plan. Verizon is being very sneaky about this whole issue and has not been above board with everyone. (Edited to comply with VZW Community ToS).

Message was edited by: Community Coordinator

• 7. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
                      Lilypu

Interesting, I (just for the heck of it) did what you suggested and low and behold it now is an option? The Verizon customer service representative has me on hold trying to figure out how that is possible. I currently have a discount on my unlimited data also and  it is unclear if that will transfer over. Verizon has honored it before with other lines but I am not sure that it will again with all of these changes in policies.

• 8. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
                        Lilypu

The Verizon representative told me today that the "keep your existing plan" option is a mistake and that all who choose this option are automatically enrolled in the 2 GB option. CHECK your plan TODAY to see if they did that to you. Again, Verizon is being very dishonest about how they are implementing these policy changes. I took photos of the screens that showed me having the option to stay with my current data package. I will print these and post them on the web so others are not fooled by this dishonest practice. Hope that I am wrong in your instance, just please check asap , that is provided you are not just another Verizon rep. trying to mislead the Verizon community.

• 9. Re: Verizon Taking Away Unlimited Data
                          TroopA_Tech

yea its still there. Im not that concerned about it cause its printed on my receipt that came with my phone. I think the only trickery is with the verizon CSR trying to get you to jump out of contract. I mean its legally binding-you are stuck with them and they are stuck with you. I did this over a week ago, and no change. Take my experience however you like but it worked for me and I have my new VZW contract to prove it. good luck.

1 2 Previous Next