It appears that this promo is still active: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/referaFriend.jsp
If your son in law is getting an employee discount, then you would not be eligible for the referral card - it's spelled out in the Eligibility details below, copied from the website.
Once your friend signs up for Verizon Wireless, ask them for their new phone number and submit a referral. In order to get your $25 Verizon Wireless Rewards Visa Debit Card:
- Your friend's service must have been activated within the last 90 days, and must remain active for at least 31 days
- Each account must be in good payment standing
- Your friends can't be receiving any discounts on his/her monthly access or other promotions (you may need to confirm this information with your friend before submitting a referral)
- The line of service you refer cannot be part of your account.
- You can only get up to 5 Rewards in a 12-month period.